Liquid cooled Kaw Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bruce, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Bruce

Bruce LawnSite Member
    from MN

Has anyone heard of the kaw liquid cooled engines fouling plugs alot.One dealer told me they have a problem fouling plugs after you have mowed for awhile and then idleing it down .Has anyone heard or have had that problem.Planning on buying a Exmark 27hp L/C Lazer Z.Just need some imput on this. Thanks

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Still have factory plugs in mine with almost 500hrs. Runs great, plugs looked fine a few weeks ago when I checked them.

3. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

I have about 400 hours on my factory plugs. Still running great.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I've never heard anything of the sort, before. As a matter of fact, this is one of the advantages to liquid cooled, is that they run at a slightly higher temp than air cooled motors, and maintain a steadier temp on the engine, causing less wear beCAUSE of this. The plugs on these motors in particular are usually a nice tan color, and NOT wet. Sign of a perfect running motor that will last. Now on MINE, which is a EFI, I have just recently discovered that I have wet plugs in IT. Not - good! With only about 400 hours on it, this tells me that unless I'm able to do something with this computer to lean it out, this motor is probably goingto puke on me at about 1500 hours. Let's hope not. I'm going to contact Kohler, and see what happens.

5. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

Sounds to me like that dealer has too many air cooled machines on his hands and he wants you to think they are the best. Its an old salesman trick. Thats how car dealers and just about every other kind of salesman moves their wares they have the most of. His mark up may not be as high on the liquid cooled models or he has too many air cooled on hand or something. I may be talking out of turn though. It could also be he has an inexperienced mechanic that thinks this is a recurring problem. I've been working on small gas engines most of my life and the only time that I see plugs fouled is when theres a fuel problem or a bad set of rings letting oil by. I've never heard of engine cooling having anything to do with it. :confused:

6. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

Mine still got the factory plugs after 400 hours. Do knowtice that it will lope when ideled down after a run. Was looking at the exhaust today and it was a red color up in the muffler. The only problem i have found on the 27 LC is the air filter system. It lets fine dust pass right through. I think KAW. should recall and fix this problem. Look down in the throat under the filter if you have the original filter on it. Love the LC but the 25 Koler air cool is a lot quiter. Later
    Chan

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I think hubb hit the nail on the head! I was going to say it, just due to the fact that plug fouling is not really a common thing in any type engine these days. I think the salesman could have come up with a better reason to steer you away though, like.....the LC Lazers are way to heavy and will sink in the mud, or.....what if the coolant leaks all over the customers lawn, or.....those LC'eds are too quiet, you may mistakenly try to start them when they are already running.

Which leads me to my next topic.....

CHAN, You really feel the filter is inadequate? I've only blown mine out twice now, and really didn't notice any real problem with dirt in the throat. Is this on a LC Lazer? Plus, my LC 27 is 10x's quieter than my 25 Kohler ever was. Are you sure about this? Maybe you have a problem?

8. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

yes we have a problem with dirt passing threw the filter or somewhere. It is on a turf tiger 61 and we blow the filter daily. the dealer said maybe you need to change the filter, i did and we get the same with the new one. yesterday i blew the filter from the outside and the dust would blow right threw the filter. i usually blow from the inside out but just thought i would try it and see how much passes through the filter. i know it had more pressure on it but it did pass threw. have a ad on filter on the 25 koler cant see below it. both on scag tt 61. i tried to check and see if it was sealing good looked to be good. yes the koler is quieter on the scags must be in the mufflers.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I think you have a different filter on the SCAG as well. Do you have the conical Donaldson filter, or the factory Kaw filter? Mine also draws air from right behind the seat on the left hand side. Way away from grass and dirt from the deck. I feel it filters pretty darn good. And also, yes different manufacturers use different mufflers, but the LC should still be quieter with the water jacket around the cylinders.

Well, dont want to say it, but.....You should have bought a LAZER! :eek:

10. BobbyBcuttin

BobbyBcuttin LawnSite Member

I don't know about everyone else but why would you clen you airfilter daily think about this for a min. this is going to sound strange but a dirter filter will filter better than a new filter my tt has 200 hours on it and i,ve only pulled the filter cover one time just to take a peeak. The only time you should pull your air filter is if you have noticable power difference of if their is a sign that the engine is starting to run rich other than that if it's not broke don't fix it.