Liquid cooled vs. air cooled.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am looking into buying a mower with the liquid cooled option. I know in terms of resale, it might be better than air cooled but really....what are the differences? The largest property I currently mow sees me on the machine for all of 35 minutes tops and it's not everyday (maybe two days a week tops).

The price difference is substantial in terms of out the door pricing and now I am just trying to justify the expense. Until now, I have never owned a liquid cooled engine nor have I needed one (atleast I dont think so).

In a nutshell....is it worth the extra $1800 smackers?

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a water cooled john deere lx188, its been a good mower and 0 problems with th e water cooled parts. Ive noticed the head gaskets seem to be leaking some coolant now but the engine is 11 years old so..........In just my lil opinion, I would take the 1800 bux and use that to purchase other equipment. Ive seen on lawnsite where alot of people get 2000 hours or more from an air cooled engines. Service is a big key in getting long life from your engine

wayne

3. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

Hello, liquid cooled will always last longer than air cooled given the same maintenance. Only extra service requirement
    1/reverse flush coolant yearly rad and engine[remove thermostat]
    2/pressure test system and rad cap at least every 3 mths
    3/check water pump belt every service
    4/check radiator clanliness every job
    5/check 4 electric fan operation every job u will hear it
    tomo

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

If you are only doing small properties, then I would think that the air cooled makes the most sense $$ wise. $1800 is a big price difference. Thats 2 new string trimmers, a push blower, and a backpack blower. Liquid cooled engines also have more parts and are therefore going to break more often. Keep it simple.

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

One other thing:
    Liquid cooled are definitely superior if you are in a hot climate. Down south, liquid definitely. With good maintenance, there is no reason why you shouldn't get 2000 plus hours from an air cooled egine.

6. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i disagree. if you keep them clean and you aren't literally running them continuously for 8 hrs+ a day, i have never had an air cooled mower engine fail from heat related problems. no doubt liquid cooled engines may last longer overall, but my thought is this: when you add additional systems, making the overall machine more complex, you have the POTENTIAL for more problems. not that head gaskets WILL leak or a radiator WILL fail before its time, but the potential is there.

i do agree with your statement that air cooled can last with proper maintenance.