Liquid cooled vs air cooled

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by C&K, Jan 4, 2007.

1. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

I looked at scags at two diff. dealers and I got diff oppinions comparing the 27hp air cooled kohler and the 27hp liquid cooled kawasaki. The mower with the air cooled kohler was priced $200.00 less than the liquid cooled.
    I have no experience with liquid cooled engines on mowers. Anyone have any input on which is better...power, cost to upkeep etc.

2. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well with lc they have a life at double to air cooled for $200 bucks i would buy the lc and the resale value is better.

3. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

Turf tiger.....

4. C&K

from East TN

Yes...Turf Tiger 60' w/LQ kaw 8999.99, w/air kohler 8799.99 06 models (NEW)

5. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Kawasaki had problem with there liquid cooled engines a couple years ago but has since been fixed and both engines are good ones. I would go with the liquid cooled kaw for longer engine life although the air cooled engine of either company will last around 1500 - 2000 hrs with good maintnance.

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

61 inch cut 2007 models

7. C&K

from East TN

They are 61".....my bad

8. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

That price is not that bad, here they are asking low 9ks.

9. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to disagree with what someone said about hr life with proper maintenance a L/C kawi should get you around and no less 2500 hrs and will prob push 3000 to 3500 hrs . I have talked to some guys down around Indy that have run motor similar to this and have 3500 hrs on them and they are still running . One of my 17 horse kawi motors had 2300 hrs on it and was still running when i traded it for my first ztr. Iam going to start doing what a dealer suggested to me the other day ( believe this coming from a dealer who is not going to sell a new mower) he suggested just remotoring the older units where its a lot cheaper than a new mower ( new 19 kawi kai installed on the walk was a grand and was ready in a hr from bringing it to the dealer till loading up and pulling away .

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I surprised that the difference between a air cooled and water is only $200 can that be right? I seen a price of $600 on a radiator being replace on some big unit at the shop a year or so ago.