liquid fence

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by mrkosar, Jul 29, 2007.

1. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

anyone use this for mole/vole prevention? i've heard the deer one works well, but what about the mole/vole one? most on this site like talpirid, but what are your thoughts on liquid fence? also, does it work for squirrels?
  2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Miller's Hot Sauce works great for squirrels. I've never used Liquid Fence but have heard good things so far.

Moles = Talpirid
    Voles = a now illegal material :eek:(
  3. covalawn

covalawn LawnSite Member

The deer one is the most foul smelling thing you will ever smell!!!!!!!!!!
    But it does work very well. Spray it on the flowers and no deer or rabbits will come near it. Just make sure you don't get it on you cause the smell will knock you down and won't go away until you wash!
  4. smikes1031

smikes1031 LawnSite Member

I don't typically post here (leave that to the professionals), but I've used the Liq. Fence mole/vole treatment. First, it's a castor oil treatment (the LF brand adds another ingredient, maybe to increase its effectiveness?). Apparently it works by coating earthworms and grubs, making them "less appetizing" to the moles. It must be watered in after application to put it below the surface and coat the critters moles are after. Helps to have lawn mowed just before application.

Had bad moles for two summers. Last year, applied this and began doing so every month or two throughout the summer (more often when rainfall has been heavy). Have not had anymore mole damage - period. Of course, I can't say for sure it's because of the castor oil; I just know I haven't had the problem using it (I say this b/c many say castor oil for moles is a myth; however, I've also read that there have been studies, I believe at Michigan State Univ., confirming its effectiveness).

Because of the way it works, it's effective only against rodents that eat earthworms/grubs/etc. UNDERGROUND. Therefore, it's not effective for squirrels (or any other surface-only creature), and it's not effective for underground creatures that don't eat worms, etc. (I believe it won't work for ground squirrels - which can be effectively killed using "gopher gassers").