1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Fert at low volume

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Apr 15, 2014.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Curious if anyone has had success with early spring liquid Fert apps on warm season turf? How soon did you follow up with a granular srn? So,e irrigated and some not.

Just curious as my rd 2 is a blanket app of my split pre app along with granular 1 lb N on Bermuda and 1/2 lb N on centipede.

A full spray app might save me some money over a spray/spread app.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

How low a volume? When fertilizer is involved I consider 1 gallon low volume.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

When a soluble fertilizer is dissolved at a high rate in water(hot mix)--there results a high osmotic potential. It tends to pull water out of the grass plant. Result, burn. If temps are high--it happens fast--within hours.

4. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

A bad mix under the right conditions will burn the grass right before your eyes. Not hours later. Have done it a few times only to never duplicate the mix or accompanying conditions.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If you are thinking of doing liquid fert out of a PG type, don't do it.

6. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

We are switching to a 100% liquid program. In the past our tankers have not had a large problem with burning. But yes, spraying or applying when its steamy hot is a poor choice. We spray at 3 gallons so its more high volume.

We are in MN so cool season grasses.

7. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

We are switching to a 100% liquid program. In the past our tankers have not had a large problem with burning. But yes, spraying or applying when its steamy hot is a poor choice. We spray at 3 gallons so its more high volume.

We are in MN so cool season grasses.

I should specify, first round is Pre-em and fert, 2nd is herbicide and fert mixed w/ X10. round 4 is herb and fert.

Usually we arent applying fert when its super hot, just herbicide.