Liquid fert from a perma green??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by upidstay, Jun 20, 2006.

1. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Anybody ever apply liquid fertilizer or iron with a Perma Green sprayer? I am thinking that it won't be diluted enough, but was wondering about it.

2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

Don't think it would work well. You need a good 3 gallons of water per 1000.

3. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree spraying fertilizer won't work, but Iron is a different story. I sprayed a number of lawns with Iron out of the Permagreen last week. Probably depends on the product formulation, it worked fine for me. It was applied at 1.5 oz per M on Fescue.

Since liquid Iron is foliar absorbed and will not burn, the droplet size on the PG is perfect for good leaf surface contact. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

4. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

Actually, a gallon of water per 1000 works fine as a carrier for most fertilizers assuming that you have the ability to water it in with irrigation in the near future, especially in the heat. Boom sprayers with more exacting spread patterns can go even lower, as evidenced in most farm applications. For unirrigated areas, you may want to put more water per k down, but only to carry it in, not for spray pattern purposes.

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I figured that fert would'n't work but iron would, just wanted to hear from the rest of the folks out there. Thanks.

6. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Green,

With the PG you are applying 1/4 to 1/3 gallon of water per M. Pretty big difference from a full gallon.

7. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

lol..I know, that comment wasn't directed at the PG, but at the water rate mentioned above. I doubt that the PG would have sufficient flow for liquid fert of any sort, iron included, and I would have a long hard look at it's spray pattern on asphalt long before I decided to try anything that produces color with it. Spray patterns that are fine for weed control, with glops of hot spots here and there and misting elsewhere would be a disaster with fert.