Liquid Fert Micros Vs Dry Greendoctor or Ric Maybe

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by WBuster, Aug 19, 2012.

1. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

That kind of soil with excessive Ca needs treatment with sulfuric acid in the irrigation water or application of enough elemental sulfur to get the pH below 7. The Ca is probably in the form of calcium carbonate. Stone or concrete in plain English. Dealing with the excess carbonates is a worthy endeavor.

I often see a reverse of that ratio. Where Mg is over 11% and Ca is less than 50%. The rest of it being sodium.

2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I will grab up some samples this week of a few accounts.

3. Duekster

from DFW, TX

We do need a good rain to flush the clay soils. The longer turf is on irrigation the worse it gets. IIRCC Ca is around 350 PPM as CaCO3

4. greendoctor

I most certainly see big differences in soil from lawn to lawn. Assumptions cannot be made about inland areas either. It has become a common construction practice to use coral as fill material on building sites. Might as well try to grow things on a mixture of lime and salt. Another issue is the Mg content of soil. In some areas, the Mg is high enough to cause serious problems with soil texture. This is something I cannot see. A test is required to verify. The no testing required way to do things is to do a 100% removal and replacement of existing material with compost. Fine for hobby gardeners, but not reasonable for lawns and large landscapes.

5. greendoctor

I have used liquid acids in that situation. A mild one that works well is 1/2 lb of citric acid per 1000 sq ft. This chelates and helps flush excessive bases.

6. WBuster

WBuster LawnSite Member

Sounds like lawn care on top of a volcano is alot more complicated :laugh:
    just pickin

7. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Maybe that is one reason I like ferric citrate. Unfortuantely that was removed from my micro pack "flexx" when lebenon bought PHC.

I have also noticed less green up from it too.

8. WBuster

WBuster LawnSite Member

You know i have another question about HI Greendoctor. I was sitting here think the volcano probably is a cause of the high CEC and OM correct? But since your an island does the Salt air or Salt water play any kinda impact on your lawns?

9. greendoctor

Sometimes I roll my own with citric acid and ferrous sulfate heptahydrate. That was before I discovered FEAture 6-0-0. Roots makes a Fe citrate chelate for turf use. I like it, but not the bulk of a 2.5 gallon bottle.

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Does BWI carry this?