liquid fert mix question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf hokie, Sep 14, 2007.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Can you help settle a question with me and my guys.
    green-flo 18-3-6 label is attached.

How many ounces per gallon of water if desired spray is 3/4 N per 1,000 at 2 gallons of water per 1,000?

We are having a bit of disagreement b/c the label is not very clear

http://www.lesco.com/NoCompression/Label.aspx?label=052447.PDF

2. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

25.5 ounces

3. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Well, 25.5 is wrong. and the label does say:

COOL, TRANSITIONAL AND WARM SEASON GRASSES: Rates
    may vary from ¼ to 1 pound of nitrogen (17 to 68 fluid ounces) per
    1000 sq ft in 4 to 6 applications at 8 to 12 week intervals.

So...if 1/4 lb. is 17 oz./M, then 3/4 lb. is 51 oz./M (17x3)

Liquids are tricky because it has to do with the weight, not volume. Here's the math. At the bottom right of the first page (front of the jug) it says:

NET WEIGHT: 26.5 lb 12.03 kg
    NET VOLUME: 2.5 gal 9.46 l

Now do the math as if this were a dry product. .75 lb. N desired divided by .18 lbs. N in the product = 4.16 lbs. product need to be applied per M. If 2.5 gal. (320 oz.) = 26.5 lbs. then there's .08 lbs. per oz. So you need 4.16 lbs of product divided by .08 = 52 oz. (or check the math backwards... 52 oz. times .08 lbs. per oz. = 4.16 lbs. times .18 lbs. N = .7488

4. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with 25.5 because the question asked how many ounces per gallon, not per 1000 sq. ft.
    I've never used the stuff so I'm curious to see if I understood the label correctly.

Scott

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I think the lable reads 51 oz of fert per k PER YEAR, not per app. At that rate, a 2.5 gallon jug would treat 6000 feet. At $40 or so a jug, that's some expensive fertilizer. It says "1/4 to 1 pound of N (17 to 68 ounces) per 1000square feet in 4 to 6 applications..." You put 51 oz of this fert down per k in one app and I'm thinking you're fry some turf.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure if it helps, but I'm pretty sure one ounce of water equals one ounce of weight, 16 ounces of weight is a pound, a gallon of water is 128 ounces hence 128 / 16 = 8 pounds = 1 gallon of water.

It's still a bit funny once we get into liquids other than water, for example since fuel floats on top of water it would weigh less than water and less than an ounce of weight per ounce of liquid, but water and weight should be ounce per ounce consistent.

Try it, put a gallon of water in a container and weigh it, do tell if it's not 8 pounds because I've never actually researched or tested it, just dawned on me one day.

7. lescojdl

lescojdl LawnSite Member

This would be per app, not per year. 3/4 pound of N per k is hardly enough N per year. 25.5 oz per gallon would be right at 2 gal per k rate. This should give you a quick release N and slowly feed your turf for 2 months or more. Great product for a liquid app that controls growth.

8. turf hokie

And you hit our debate squarely on the nose. Is it 51 oz per app or is it 51 divided by 4 apps to give the desired amount? That is what has us confused.

Yes the 25.5 rate at 2 gallons per 1,000 gives us our 51 oz of fert per 1,000 square feet. This is what we came up with originally. However, that is 2,040 oz or 16 gallons of fert per acre and we were treating 5 acres at a condo. That just seems like a crazy amount of product.

Even at $7 per gallon that translates to $112 / acre. Just to save time blowing off driveways is nuts. Talk about blowing a budget.

I still find it hard to believe that it takes that much concentrate to get 3/4 lb of N per 1,000.

9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

My apologies to Greg and you. Yes the question was per gallon, and yes the answer is 25.5 And yes, it's expensive. Hokie, look into UFlexx. I've been getting great results at 3/4 lb./N/M. At $25 or so per 50 lb. bag, you're at under $40 per acre, which still gives you plenty of cash to add your own micros, K, whatever to make a mix you want. Or, if you're sold on 18-3-6, look into 55's. Might save a little.

10. turf hokie

Thanks marc. I knew you were talking total per k and not per gallon. No biggee.

You seem to be sold on the Uflexx. That price is right where I like to keep my materials. I am not stuck on the 18-3-6 it was convenient to grab.