Liquid Fert

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Johnagain, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Johnagain

Johnagain LawnSite Senior Member

I have a few lawns that I would like to use liquid fertilizer on. I have a subdivision that is mostly a clay hard pan base 3-4 inches under the grass. most of the granule will wash away with a heavy rain so I thought I could use liquid instead. I am not a CPO, so can I legally spray just fert. I haven't been able to find anything that says yes or no.

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

You sure can according to the laws on pesticides. However, will this run afoul of the fertilizer regulations that mandate a starved lawn? I cannot imagine using only slow release urea as the N source. I hate that stuff. Not to mention, it is not slow release when the heat and humidity makes the granule dump all of its N all at once.

3. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

NO YOU CANT LEGALLY SPRAY FERTILIZER ON A LAWN OR BUSHES WITHOUT A LICENSE IN THE STATE OF FLORIDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing you can do is put down granular fertilzer and that is it. If I am correct they are even trying to change that too.

4. bugsNbows

bugsNbows LawnSite Member

As long as you apply only fertility products (no pesticides) I was of the opinion that you sure can make liquid applications.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I will second this post. There is no restrictions on how fertilizer is applied. only where and when it is applied.

I use liquid fert in conjunction with granules. My sandy soil has no chemical holding power and by using both forms of fert I can spoon feed with little or no leaching. I use smaller amounts of both product but hopefully timed so it can all be up taken.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Yam

I believe you are confused with the LIMITED PESTICIDE LICENSE application restrictions. A Limited can only use Manuel hand pump applicators and no power applicators.

7. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Did I miss something? I took the BMP class last November after the ext office said it was required after Jan 2011. Ric is right manual applications only, not even a powered bp. Realistically there is a big equipment outlay for tanks, pumps, hoses, reels and guns. Sounds like your overthinking the washout factor. Let's not forget about the N and P blackouts too. Coming to a county near you soon!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Patriot

You might be misunderstanding my post. Manual applications of PESTICIDES only with a Limited Pesticide License.

BMP has no limitations on the HOW applied only the WHERE & WHEN. That means a power fertilizer spreader or a powder fertilizer sprayer

9. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

The OP may want to check his county restrictions if any also as they may come into play. For example in Orange County there is a restriction in terms of how much N can be applied at one time and if you wish to put up to 1lb of N then over 50% of the N must be slow release. I am not familiar enough nor do I have interest in liquids at this time but most of the ones I have seen are not slow release, many again of the the ones that I have seen also contain P, which could cause a issue with the regulations.

10. jvanvliet

jvanvliet LawnSite Gold Member

bmp is not the license, its a requirement to get the license...