Liquid Fert $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turf Dawg, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

So for those of you who mainly or in large part use a liquid fert program how large are your tanks?

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I use a 100 gallon skid. Most of my lawns are 1/2 acre or less and it would do me no good to ride around with 300-500 gallons of a mix that is specific to one lawn. As I said before, I do liquids because of the difficult requirements of each lawn.

3. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Greendoctor,
    Do you have a city hydrant meter for on the go?
    Otherwise, I use a 100 gallon tank for lawns of 1/2 acre and smaller. I am at 2 GPK at best depending on my leg speed.

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

That's the best advice I've seen in this thread. If you don't have access to Uflexx or Umaxx and you'd like your N stabilized, add some Hydrexx to your sprayable urea in solution. The rest can be your own recipe as far other macros or micros. If you're going to use a ride-on, mix accordingly and have it in the tank you plan to nurse from. Just remember that lower volume mixes are more concentrated and much less forgiving when it comes to mishaps. JMO

5. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

It seems to me that if you are using 2 or more gallons per 1000 SF that makes for a lot of mixing time. Not criticizing just wondering if I would ever go to a partial liquid program and the time efficiency of it.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

See avatar and personal page pics. I used a 400 gallon tank and one-ton truck. Mixed urea and KCl. I did not have much trouble dissolving it--but I had to take special precautions to prevent urea from sucking into the filter. I planned to use 3 gals per thousand, but I walked fast enough--it eventually turned out to be about 2.6 gals per thousand sqft. I used about one bag for 68 gallons of water; 25 percent less at 80 degrees or more, 50 percent less at 85 degrees or more.
    About 3 of five treatments were granular.

7. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

Riggle,
    Then at 85 degrees or more, you are reducing your rate by 50%!
    Did I get you right!
    This is our attitude in 100 gallons of water at 2-3 GPK. I know the rate for my grass is 1#/M per growing month up to a total of 5#'s perM/year on heavy managed-irrigated lawns.

8. cwnla

cwnla LawnSite Member

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You heard right; to us 85 degrees is hot. I think urea will cause burn of bluegrass if a pound is applied per thousand sqft in a liquid form. So...we tried to switch to granular during hot months. Or we applied granular followed by liquid herbicide.