liquid fertilizer/chem lawn gun?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by oldpro, Apr 1, 2012.

1. oldpro

oldpro LawnSite Member

I have a question for you guys that routinely make liquid applications of fertilizer. I have done all granular applications in the past but want to try liquid for my first app this year. Can applications be made using a chem lawn type gun? I plan to add tracker so as to be sure of even coverage. Secondly what is your preference as far as gun/nozzle when making liquid apps? I have a Lesco 50 gallon and manage primarily centipede turf with a few other warm season varieties. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

Before I went off on my own I managed a JDL branch. I would say atleast 9 out of 10 guys were using the chemlawn guns for their liquid apps. As far as the nozzzles for it, that will be dependent on how many gallons per minute you need depending on how many k per minute you can cover, and your mix rate.

3. Dave Stuart

Dave Stuart LawnSite Member

I have a lot of flight time with the chemlawn gun doing liquid nutrient applications.
    Set your sray volume to 2 gallon / 1000 sqft, or 87.120/acre. You want a coarser droplet size for liquid fertilizer.

4. Dave Stuart

The coarser size reduces your margin for error, use the yellow tip, spray an 8 ft swath on 4 ft centers and overlap 50% back to your footprints. Trim the edges 4 ft out from the boarder.

5. Dave Stuart

Keep your arm in a repetitive swinging motion, walking speed is roughly 2.8 mph center passes, move faster on trim/ both hand and foot speed.

6. Dave Stuart

To calibrate the flow catch 4 quarts in 30 seconds time interval, use a stop watch.
    Gun angle should be approximately 45 degrees.

Good applicating to you.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

We used to use an 8 foot swath on a seven foot center to center pattern, overlapping about 6 inches. 3 gals per minute. Green nozzle.

Be sure you reduce the amount of nitrogen in hot weather as urea will cause a severe burn on the grass if the mix is too hot.

8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I always liked the 3 gal nozzle better coverage.