Liquid fertilizer vs. granular fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by xtremelawn, Jan 15, 2008.

1. xtremelawn

xtremelawn LawnSite Member
    from USA

I have been using granular fertilizer. I have heard some people talking about using liquid fertilizer. I was just wondering what the Pros and Cons are with liquid fert.

Thanks

2. (wi) Roots

(wi) Roots LawnSite Member
    from 9

Your response time will be quicker with liquid apps verses granular. Here with the zone in which I reside I will use liquid fertilzer for my fescue lawns. When I do use granular fertilizer toward fescue I place it down at 1/2 rate. Approx. 2 time a year is good enough.
    My burmuda , and Zoysia lawns always get granular. With the exception of Spring/Fall pre and post emergents.

3. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

One of the big advantages of using liquid is when applied at the same time as postemerge herbicides, thus allowing the application of more than one product at the same time.
    Doug
    Austreim Landscaping

4. summitlawncare

summitlawncare LawnSite Member

Good morning folks, I operate out of Tulsa, OK. I have a client that has decent size sticker problem in his back yard. They are everywhere. Of course they are dormant right now. Any suggestions as to what to apply to help control them when thinigs start to come back this spring? I was thinking of applying some round up and of course I am going to hit it with a couple of rounds of pre-m. Any other suggestions? The site in question is about 1500 sq ft.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

A lot of it just depends on your program.

I use 100% granular as I only push 4 apps/year so my feeding needs to last 8 weeks or so. So with the SCU I can achieve this. I could offer 5 or 6 apps to all customers and make a lot more money, but I feel that only 4 good feedings a year with the appropriate SCU will get us through the growing season. I like to add a 5th app but that is for grub and insect protection.

If you are using a liquid, you are not going to get the extended feeding and will have to go back more often (which is great from a business standpoint I guess) unless you are using a slow release liquid which is $$$$$$$.

I also feel that granular is much more forgiving on streaks and "misses". So far....I have not been called on any missed strips.

A lot is also user prefrence and costs. It is much cheaper to use liquid so a lot of guys use it.

Personally, and this is just me, I feel you get a better feeding and better results with granular but this can be argued all day!

6. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Xtreme,
    Granulars, in cooler climates, especially the slow release ones take a while to get going and don't give the green up that customers may like, so companies will use sprays in the spring and fall and granulars as the soil warms.
    Some slow release fertlizers do not even start releasing the product inside until the temps are in the 60's and 70's. If you have a cool spring it may not be until late May or early June that the soil gets that warm.
    Make sense?

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

The urea portion will release fairly quickly.

Good point on the SCU....but I really don't want the SCU to release very soon anyway!

8. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Sometimes i'll mix in a little feromec on my first app just to give a liitle nudge on the green up. Now they have ferromec w/ a 10-6-4 ratio with bio's. Another option.

9. crazy4green

crazy4green LawnSite Member

granular fertilizers in my experience promote a deeper root growth and in long run have less problems. it may have slightly slower green up rate but in the fall looks great and thats what customers remember when comes to next year