Liquid Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by VARMIT COMMISSION, Jan 17, 2008.

1. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

This year I am going to start spraying my first app. of fert. instead of using granular. I know there is a lot of personal opinions on this but-im gunnna do it. I am only spraying 1.5 gal/1000sq.ft. Has anyone had any problems using such a small amount of carrier for liquid fert? Urea is what I will be squirting. UFLEXX something around 80-90 #'s an acre melted. All Bermuda grass.

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Nutraflow works well for us.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I see a potential for fertilizer burn. Especially at high temps. Do you mean 80 or 90 pounds per acre of urea, or do you mean nitrogen? Do a few tests on scrap areas, regular strength, double strength, low temp and high temp. Maybe Bermuda can handle it--but at temps over 80, you may not have enough water. Your solution will be very concentrated. It may tend to draw the water out of the leaf blades like salt. Don't listen to the salesman--test it out yourself.

4. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

If you are just doing your first app that way you should get excellent results. I spray 2gal/1000 and it works great. Like Riggle said, when temps rise to around the 80 degree mark you will need to change your strategy. Otherwise, you will end up with tip burn. I try to have most of my old customers knocked out by the time temps reach that range. Once they do, I spread-n-spray new sales. You will have to go granular for your fert at some point or it will be burn and return. Customers don't like that too much.

5. VARMIT COMMISSION

Im only going to use it on my first round so-- it will be under 80 degrees for sure. Second round I will back off and go with 30 or 50% UFLEXX in a 3-1-2 formula with much lower nitrogen. "RIGGLEPLC" I plan on putting down 46-0-0 UFLEXX which is 100% controlled release, not the cheap straight urea.

6. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

3-1-2? We are going to all liquid this year also, i posted about this in another thread. UFLEXX peeps claim that there will be no tip burn with their product??? Since is is such a slow release. What amount of N are you going with in your later apps?

I would like to use liquid 100% of the time so only one trip.

7. VARMIT COMMISSION

SEDGE,
    My second round of fert. will prob. be 32-3-7 30% or 50% UFLEXX. And I plan on melting it down also. My big concern is streaking. Overlapping my spray,higher concentrations of fert. in these areas. I dont want a checker board affect. You know we have an average wind of 15 mph everyday here, if there was no wind and it was perfect conditions, I wouldnt worry about it. Ive heard the more water you use per 1000 with liquid fert. the better but---- i just heard, dont know?

8. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Same as me with all the hearing and not many real solid answers so far..... :-(

Are you going to use a permagreen, z-spray, hps or a gun? If gun then i don't think there will be a problem, if permagreen, z-spray or a hps, then you very well might be right.

You mention 30%-50% of UFLEXX, what will be the other N? Straight urea? Or do you mean you will over lap completely, that you will only be putting on 50% of the rate at a time and with the complete over lap, you will be at 100%? or?

9. VARMIT COMMISSION

[

You mention 30%-50% of UFLEXX, what will be the other N? Straight urea? Or do you mean you will over lap completely, that you will only be putting on 50% of the rate at a time and with the complete over lap, you will be at 100%? or? [/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Im using a gun. What do you mean by "what will be the other nitrogen", are you asking about the first round that is all UFLEXX urea, or second round of fert. that is 32-3-8?

10. VARMIT COMMISSION

Im talking about the overlap of 8-10 inches on one side that is already sprayed. I sure the heck aint gunna spray it twice at 50%, the whole idea for me is to save time.