1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by grassguy123, Jan 29, 2008.

1. grassguy123

grassguy123 LawnSite Member

I am new to liquid fertilizers. Is it cheaper than pellets? More effective? Pros and cons would be much appriciated. I do lawn service and would like to start fertilizer this year.
  2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

We have talked about that a ton on here (even some lately)! Do a search under liquid fert and you should get tons of posts!

Any yes liquid is usually a lot cheaper then "pellets"!
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Respectfully, my opinion is that dry fertilizer is cheaper. And it is also quicker to apply. Also you have the advantage of including slow-release coated products.
  4. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I always thought that sprays were faster, could be wrong but that is what I have always thought.
    I have watched chemlawn guys spray a yard in almost the time it takes to get the spreader and ferts out of the truck
  5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Our liquid fert = > $36 per acre. Our granular fert is about the same. Of course there are pro's and con's with each.
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I use 100% dry and it all has SCU, and personally think it is a superior product as you do.

The smaller guys around me use 28% and mix it with water. It is much cheaper per unit of N then the dry. But if you are looking at liquid (good stuff) with slow release then it is a much higher cost then dry.

I think that the dry (with SCU) gives a much better length of feeding!