liquid fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by redbuckcavs, Feb 4, 2008.

1. redbuckcavs

redbuckcavs LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I know we've discussed this topic before but I have some accounts that only want a weed-n-feed in the spring and another one in the Fall. With the prices of fert I'm trying to decide what liquid fert is going to be the cheapest and Im satisfied with a short period of green-up. Does anyone use the ag-grade 28%

it contains alot of salt so what temp do you stop applying (fear of burning)
    * I'm applying 2 gallons of water per 1000 sq ft and I would love to get 1lb of N. without burning the turf

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Depending on how you are buying your 28% and/or dry you might now be saving much going with liquid!

If you are using dry you are going to get a good ever slow feed vs. a VERY quick feed from the 28%. Plus you will probably lose some of the 28% unless it is watered in as 30% of 28 is already in the nitrate form and can volatilize easily.

I just penciled the cost/unit of N real quick and you are looking at saving about .20-.30/K (or $9-11/acre).

For that little of a savings, I would try and sell them on the good ol' dry SCU!

If you do stick with using 28% I don't think you have to worry about burning the lawn going at 2 gallon/K. You only need to apply aprox. 1/3 or a gallon/K to get 1# of act N.

3. redbuckcavs

from indiana

The main reason I want to use 28% on these accounts that wish to receive only 2 apps per year is my brother in law is a big farmer and has purchased more 28% then he's going to need and know I can get it from him at a VERY good price

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Depending on when he bought it, you may want to check your price.

I also farm and use a lot of 28%...but none on the lawn side.

I bought my 28% back in Nov for $266/ton and now it is getting between $340-360/ton. It will depend on what your brother paid and what he sells it to you for as to if it is a good deal or not! He will be thinking just like me....REPLACEMENT COST, so I'm sure it won't be a GREAT deal.

You will have to price you unit/N, and it also depends on what you are paying for dry.

For me...I am getting my dry reasonable enough it would be stupid to use 28%, but everyone (and prices) are different!

Again...you are going to get much better and more even feed with a dry with 50%SCU (8-10 weeks). 28% is not going to be around very long and with only 2 apps, I would recommend the exteneded feeding with the dry.

But that is just me!

5. redbuckcavs

from indiana

Thanks RCREECH!!!

The 28% was bought last Fall for $240 ton (Hes a BIG farmer so Im sure the CO-OP works with him) and he's willing to sell it to me at that cost, so its hard to turn down if I can apply the product without hurting the lawns. On my high end customers I will use a slow released granular fert,but the " 2 apps per year account" I may use 28%

6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i use 46-0-0 prill in my liquid apps. its cheap and gets the job done! desolves in minutes, very little aggitation needed, i mix in Fe, add UFLEXX to stabilize the N, add MOP, pre/post or both weed control and i get an steadily feed green lawn at a fraction of the cost of quality granular fert. i apply at 1.5gal per k rate.

7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Thats an awesome price...especially from the Co-op (because they usually have a large margin)!

He got a very great deal and you should take him to a very nice restraunt if he is "passing" it onto you at cost! :laugh:

I am also in the wholesale ag chemical and liquid fert in my spare time when I am not farming and lawning it :dizzy: (which is actually my what I have done since I got out of college) and a semi load is a semi load.

I sell to guys with 100 acres of corn, up to guys with 1500 acres of corn and the price is the same for 28%!

Size of the grower actually doesn't matter on 28% as it is just a commodity! Now the seed and chemical marktet is much like lawncare...the bigger you are the better price you get!

8. redbuckcavs

from indiana

Thanks for everyones advice, so is it safe to say 28% will work to green up the lawn if I

*** Apply it with 2 gallons water per 1000 sq ft

*** Do not apply if temp reaches 85 degrees

*** will get a quik greenup, but will last a short time