1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

liquid fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by steve grubbs, Sep 7, 2011.

1. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

:laugh::laugh: Oh smallaxe, it doesn't irritate me at all. Everyone is entitled to their own preference. Why do you think I don't know as much as I should about foliar feeding?? Because, other than my pre-emergent apps, most of my apps are dry applications. It's what I'm used to doing and hard to change sometimes. The only thing that irritates me is when people(in general) close their mind to new possibilities/opportunities because it is "different than what I am used to doing or have ever done so it can't be good". I really do not come here to get in arguments. However, I am very firm about my principles and I'm sure that shows through at times. I am a firm believer that a person should always have their mind open to new possibilities. Always learning/absorbing new info,even if it is completely different than anything I have ever known.....That's why I come to this site.
    I'm glad he showed those pics. It gave us all the opportunity to see the results of something very different than what most of us are used to...
    Smallaxe, no hard feelings??......None here.
  2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Soil types. Iron oxide and iron phosphate are not available in alkaline clay. In acidic soils, manganese competition becomes an issue.
  3. ted putnam

Send me a PM and i'll get you connected.[/QUOTE]

I sent you a PM.
  4. olcllc

olcllc LawnSite Member

I have had quite a few questions regarding GMS. Here is some additional info.

GMS can be mixed with most herbicides, fungicides and insecticides. To include micronutrients and chelated products.

It can be sprayed with a ride-on. I use my shielded sprayer and a lesco HPS.

GMS also acts as a surfactant due to its specific gravity and weight 11.4 lbs per gallon.

It's absorption rate is about 30 min for the N and K2o and up to 12 hours for the P2o5.

It can be applied undiluted up to 2gal per acre provided you have the means to produce a fine mist like with an air blast applicator.

It's best applied in the morning and late evening with a dew or humidity over 60% and temps below 80.

It can be augmented into a fertigation system with a home owners irrigation system.

It can be applied as frequently as 2 week intervals. At the recommended rate of 2 gal per acre, it should feed from 6 to 8 weeks.

It's one concern is hard water. If you have hard water you must use a Ph reducer or vinegar to combat the calcium in your water from binding with the phosphorus.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  5. ted putnam

Thanks man, I didn't have a chance to call you earlier.(Supper and visiting at the Mother-in-law's) I had planned to call you but felt it was to late when we were done. We are warm season turf here and you said it worked great on warm season turf. Using 1/4gpm air induction tips on the Z-sprays we use, It looks like I'd still use about 8 gals of water in addition to the 2 gals of product to cover an acre. At this rate, would it still be effective as a foliar feed? Humidity and temps are favorable around here except for about 3 months out of the season.
  6. olcllc

olcllc LawnSite Member

I dilute in a 15 gal mixture to cover an acre. Dilution is best. Orchards, vinyards, and vegetable growers tend to apply undiluted.
  7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, that will do it...

Have you given consideration to raising the OM as a pH buffer?

It has been discovered that the root tips themselves change the pH in the immediate vicinity of where it is drawing from, so as to survive in otherwise hostile pH soils...

I confess I really haven't had a real discussion about this subject and am not sure if any of this is true... I do know that compost increases vigor every time I use it, but I only have personal assumptions as to why... :)

No hard feelings...
  8. ted putnam

I enjoyed our conversation on the phone. Not sure how 5 minutes turned in to an hour and a half :laugh: I am very eager to try this new product and see the results. I had just a couple of other questions for you about spray volume. I will ask you via PM so I can experiment once the product arrives. Thanks again and I'm looking forward to the possibility of doing things a new way.
  9. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Ted I also am looking into this product one thing with our Z's I would think I would have to change the hose real gun out because for a fine mist to match the boom, I use it all the time.

Olcllc, Thanks for all the phone calls great info. I spoke with Chris and he has a truck going to ATL next week but i will be in NY all week. I still am going to try and set something up for 25-50 gal. I also may have a lead on Gypsum the supplier said it was 92% gypsum and 6% absorbent polymer 10 cents a pound but he is checking. I like what we talked about 6 cents a lb.
    Thanks again for your time and conversation
  10. olcllc

olcllc LawnSite Member

Any time. Did Chris have additional info regarding it's use in your climate?

Ted, you may want to speak to Chris as well. He will have more info and may have some tips for its use on warm season turf. I'll PM his number to you.