1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Glass to Fix leaking Head Gasket??????

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ed2hess, Mar 1, 2013.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got into a discussion with a guy about my 94Ford Van being ready for the junk yard because water was leaking into the cyclinders. We went down path of pulling engine to get a peek and maybe fix the problem. He then said that if you are considering replacing the engine then put liquid glass into the cooling system. It will definitely fix the leak.........

I know you guys don't like Mechanic in a bottle but how about this brew:laugh:
  2. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

never heard of that ,but irontite has worked in the past for me depending on how bad it was leaking .
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

4. GlynnC

GlynnC LawnSite Senior Member

I've not heard of liquid glass for head gasket leaks, but have heard of it for cracked heads. My BIL used it on a diesel utility tractor (35hp) with mixed results, but ultimately he had to replace the head--not inexpensive!!!
  5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

All it might need is a dang head gasket and I guess at 19 years old it's probably seen better days but I still think it kind of rash to ruin the engine just before dropping it off at the junk yard.
  6. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

Why not just fix the head gasket for real and keep it?
  7. teckjohn

teckjohn LawnSite Senior Member

that wont fix it anyway
  8. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

I agree , fix the gasket.
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This is what the van looks like. The inside up front is almost perfect shape. The back was changed with racks for irrigation truck.

The van was in three pretty good shops before the last one came up with water in cyclinders. They also believe that there is just tooo much rust in the cooling system. Freeze plugs are leaking and maybe more damage due to the rust. The engine would have to be removed to get to all the stuff. I would expect that would end up around 2 3k. A new rebuilt engine would be about in the same range. At this point we replaced it with new chev van and was planning this as back-up and maybe used by new irrigation guy. If this van wasn't so hard to work on we might go for it but.......they are killer to repair.

We already put in a leak stopper product. NO change.