Liquid N help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PR Fect, Apr 17, 2005.

1. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Can I spray liquid urea in my low volume sprayer. It puts down about 1/3 gal of water per K in a fine mist. Its a Pro Lawn Shielded Sprayer. What product could I use? Need to put down some N and maybe FE. I want to tank mix this with Lesco Three-Way. Never used liquid N before, any help?

2. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

It is real hard to put N down with low volume equipment. We buy Nitrogen in two forms. One is a granular, looks like sugar and requres big time aggitation. The other is a liquid but is really thick, like syrup. It also requires some aggitation. We apply around 2.5 - 3 gallons of solution per 1000 Ft^2.
    The problem with the liquid based N is the cost. Really expensive per sq foot. It's just my upinion but I wouldn't do nitrogen apps with low volume equipment.

3. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

MWHC, thanks for the reply. I know it cost a little more. My Lesco guy wanted to sell me a 23-0-23 that would have cost about $1.19 per K. We can put down 32-3-8 2% FE Granular for about $0.71 per K. Agitation is not a problem. You say you put down 2.5-3 Gal water per K. Will I get burn if I only use 1/3 gal water per K? Do you think I need the big spray tips to get the product out with out a clog?

4. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I run a permagreen and a z-sprayer and wouldn't feel comfortable using liqiud N in either, better stick with granular IMO. :)

5. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

Yes, I think clogging would be an issue, also to get enough Nitrogen down per K (@ 1/3 gal/1000 k) you are going to have to mix it really hot if you know what I mean.

6. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, Kick those Lesco guys when you see'um again, they sell a product called "Feromac", its iron and nitrogen, not thick by any means, as thin as water [ its made by "Gordan's" the same people that make "Trimec"]......I use a 1/2 rate and get good results and not very costly, ck it out :)

7. MWHC

MWHC LawnSite Member
    from Wyoming

We were talking about Nitrogen apps but anyway; I use the Ferromec AC also (we buy it in 50 gal drums) . It's more like syrup than water. The amount of Nitrogen in it is insignificant. We still have to apply a lot of it to have any effect. I would not waste my time with liquid apps if you are not using the right equipment.