liquid nitro apps for damaged lawn

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by steck, Jul 16, 2008.

1. steck

steck LawnSite Member
    from ontario

referencing my thread about my dead/yellow grass....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=238977

i just hit the local fertilizer supply company and got two 5 gallon pails of 28% liquid fertilizer.

i have a tow behind sprayer to get the lawn a kick start back to decent shape.

the lady behind counter said 1 litre for 100 litres of water (apprx mix ratio of 100:1)

sound about right ??...or would 50:1 be appropriate too :weightlifter:

i'm a relative noob to all this / will be watering it slightly after application

anything else ? :canadaflag:

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

StecK

The 28% sure sounds like a UAN which is a slow release. But I believe you have the cart before the horse with this question. First we need to know the condition of the lawn before suggesting a Rate.

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I would not apply it. You might burn it again. Worse yet, you will probably not apply enough to help the grass.

Did you clean out your sprayer yet? Did you test it on your own yard to be sure it was clean? Did you calibrate the sprayer? You failed to mention how many gallons per thousand sq feet are applied? Or do you use litres per hectare? Or don't know?

You are best off in warm weather with a quality granular fertilizer with at least 50 percent of the nitrogen formulated as slow release. Apply about a pound of actual nitrogen. Calibrate your spreader and apply it evenly. Water it in. If you want faster growth--apply again in about 3 weeks. IBDU is the best slow release, methylene urea is also good, sulfer coated is satisfactory.

4. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Sounds like my brother-in-law did the app.:laugh:

Hey -- what's up with the liter thing?? American boys deal in gallons and twelve ounce beers.:laugh:

Take care. :canadaflag:

5. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Don't forget, we like our ladies with shaved legs and armpits. Anything else is just plain...yuck.

I second the motion on using a good slow release granular fertilizer. And get some tank cleaner before doing anything else with it.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I hear ya, but your beer SUCKS!

just kidding -- remember the movie "Canadian Bacon" with John Candy" ?

7. steck

steck LawnSite Member
    from ontario

sure, pick on the new canadian !! :waving:

granular?? i got away from that as i got 2 acres to maintain, and its pretty costly to buy it over the counter here. i was spending close to $200 beans each time i used the granular stuff (like CIL golf green etc) - but thought it would be much more economical to buy a sprayer...but i guess granular does have its benefits...

I will post pics soon of the shape its in now just for fun....and will monitor the progress !!

i'm sprayin man :cool2:

8. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

rather than just applying N, I really think you should spray either some biostimulant (seaweed extract + humic acid), or some potassium phosphite, or both in addition to a SPOON-feeding of nitrogen. But, if the grass is toasted, go buy some green paint instead.

I thought UAN was quick?? ric?

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

On damaged lawns, I will second the biostimulant type products and I like to spray potassium nitrate at 1/4 lb/M. There is nothing wrong with UAN/28-0-0 if it is tank mixed with the above products at the equivalent of 1/4 lb N. I frequently deal with damaged lawns and a sprayable formulation gives me much better results than anything in a bag. I do not like the uncontrolled surge growth caused by throwing a pound or more of 50% slow release. That is what happens when you put that much N in any form in my climate at this time of year. If the lawn is not irrigated, do nothing. I will not fert lawns with malfunctioning or nonexistent irrigation systems. Too much blame when grass does not respond or there is fertilizer burn.