1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

liquid or air cooled?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eggy, Jun 28, 2002.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

My dealer has been talking up the liquid cooled engines. I have always ran air cooled with no problems. What are the benifits of spending the extra 1,000.00 for a liquid cooled?
  2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Longevity! Water cooled engines do not produce as much heat build up in engine parts and therefore every thing last longer, including overall power.
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Fuel effeciency and noise are also much better with liquid cooled.

- I'd stay away from Kawasaki, though.

Anything they build over 20hp doesn't seem to last.
  4. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

The dealer has been pushing the 27hp kawasaki liquid cooled on the new Scags....hmmm.....
  5. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Well i was set on buying a air cooled last year when i was out shopping for a Turf Tiger, the price is alot cheaper than liquid cooled, well when we went back to buy the Turf Tiger the dealer which was a scag dealer said to buy the liquid cooled, saying they will last 50% longer so we bought the 23 Liquid Cooled Kaw.
    Also notice that in spring when everyone had there T.T. in for spring service most to all of them had the liquid cooled, so my suggestion go with the 27Kaw, more power but last longer.
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If you are after long engine life, and liquid cooling, why not add another 1000 and get a diesel. I have read a few disturbing reports about troubles with the big liquid cooled Kawasakis. Grasshopper has some great midmounts with Kubota diesels that are very competitive in price. I just paid 9200.00 for a Grasshopper 60" midmount with the 21hpKubota diesel. Dixie Chopper has a couple of diesel machines with Yanmar engines, although their pricing is a little higher than the Grasshoppers. I just sold a Grasshopper front-deck machine that had 3000hrs on the Kubota engine, and it still ran strong. :D
  7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I havent heard one bad thing about them yet. And there are a LOT of them out there!

Coming up on 600 hours, and time for another plug change (this will be the second) in July. Still on first airfilter. Haven't had an engine yet.....EVER....go 600 hours without a problem at all.

Knock, knock, knocking on wood....:(
  8. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

I would go with the air cooled or diesel,the 1k that you save from gas air,to gas wtercooled is not worth it,how many moe hours are you going to get out of it,1000??? take the 1000 dollars and invest it ,and you will need only a few hundred dollars more to buy a new air cooled engine,new warrenty new starter carb etc.i have seen the kawi develop problems around the 1500 hudred hour mark with water leaks,
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

25hp Kohler Command brand new $1659

26hp Kohler EFI brand new $ 2400

27hp LC Kawi brand new $1640

Where were the coolant leaks originating from? So I can start looking now.