liquid or dry fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by nvrstsfd23, Nov 6, 2006.

1. nvrstsfd23

nvrstsfd23 LawnSite Member

when you do a four application a year on a turf area for an entrance way can you use liquid varities or should you use dry fertilizer instead. It seems from pricing standpoint it would be cheaper and I already have a 200 gallon sprayer.

2. nvrstsfd23

anybody have anything

3. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I don't know if I totally understand your question. If you are asking if you could resort to an all liquid program I would say no. Although liquid fertilizer is cheaper it also leaches out of the soil much more rapidly. The positive side is that a liquid fertilizer will give you faster results because the roots will suck it up quicker. But i look at it this way I can feed healthy turf with a slow release granular fertilizer for 4-7 weeks but a liquid fertilizer will feed more like 5-10 days. I know buying a spreader is hassle when you already have a spray rig but trust me granular fert will give you much better results. Hope this helps.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

nvrstsfd23

You really opened Pandora's Box with this question. There are many factors that come into play starting with your area's soil, weather, turf type Etc Etc.

Quick bottom line: Liquid generally is a fast release that give a quick response. Granles take a little long to show a response but last longer. I have to agree with Lawnangel, Granules generally do a better job. Liquid can be cheaper to apply. You get what you pay for.

5. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I use liquid fert. only when I am applying a fungicide. I mix in a bit of liquid fert. for an extra boost. You need to be careful applying a liquid fertilizer under conditions that promote fungus. If you are not applying a fungicide with your liquid fert. ap. you could be fueling the fungus fire.

6. nvrstsfd23

ok thanks a lot guys thats what i wanted to know

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

liquid is the way to go. there are many slow or controled release fertilizers that will last longer then a granular and give you the same and better resualts. NBN, UFLEXX, powder blue, etc. the nice thing about liquid is you can create your own blend of fert, not what lesco wants you to use. and best of all, if your lawns are an acre or less, you can out perform a push spreader. NO BLOWING WALKS OR DRIVES!! on target all the time!

8. Bryn

Bryn LawnSite Member

Hey Ric

Do you still have your website up? I would like to read over it again, it's been a while.

Thanks

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bryn

Sorry but the law suit with Lawn Doctor the web site had to go. An other case of corporate America screwing the small business man.

If I say so myself, I had a lot of good stuff posted for free. However I did C&P some of that information on LS so do a search and you may find some of that information. In the mean time sign up for some of my seminars.

10. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Just out of curiosity what did lawn doctor sue you about regarding your website? I hate when the big guy picks on the little guy and wins.