1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Liquid or Granular applications?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CK82, Jun 3, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I am tring to decide whether to go granular or liquid for fertilization and weed control? I want to purchase either a sprayer for my zero turn or an electric spreader. Which of (liquid or granular) provides the best results and price comparisons? Should I purchase a spreader for the fert and a small tank for spraying weeds on the back? I've also contemplated the idea of setting my truck up with a tank set up that is removable. Please give me some ideas.

Thanks, Chris
  2. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

For weed control, liquid is the clear winner.

For fertilization, it depends on how often you'll apply. If you're coming back frequently enough that slow-release isn't a concern - then liquid is the logical choice.

But really, your lawn types, startup costs, etc are all factors. It's different for all of us. I started out granular and am now almost entirely liquid...
  3. Fert33

Fert33 LawnSite Member

What are You using for your liquid fert. apps? I would be so scared to do that. Not to mention getting enough fair weather to spray all applications has got to be tough. I'm sure you have some stories?
  4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I successfully spray liquid all summer long. Even in 90 degree temps I do fine, with the only negative result being whiting the tips of the grass (which disappear after it's cut). Out here everyone has sprinkler systems, so lawns are watered within 48 hours of treatment...

As for what I use? The normal stuff: water soluble K, feed urea, various Fe additives. Throw in weed killers, pre-emergents, bifenthrin, imadichloprid... Spray it all with a Lesco Space Saver (which I can't recommend).

I've never burned a lawn, never striped a lawn. Currently run at 1.33 gallons per K...