1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Liquid or Granular HELP NEEDED!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by tjcezar, Feb 21, 2007.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Is liquid fert in general more or less than granular. I am new to this and am currently studying for licensing. I am putting together a bid for total landscape service and need to price for a 1. early spring application of a liquid pre-emergent hebicide for control of grassy weeds, plus broadleaf control and a balanced fertilizer 2. a late spring app of a timed release balanced fertilizer, a liquid broadleaf herbicide, and an insecticeide for surface feeding, turf damaging insects.
    I need to do this on 5 properties that are an average of 7000-14000 sq ft.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

You do not mention if you have equipment suitable for liquid--that is capable of 3 gallons per 1000 sqft. So...i suggest granular fertilizer with crabgrass control. Cost a little more because you will get some slow release. Cheaper in the long run because it is quicker to apply.
    Do the second application with granular fertilizer--follow up with liquid weed control.
    The first application is often too early and too cold for weed control, but if you need it, apply as a liquid in a separate step.
  3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Soluble N soruce liquids are generally about the same cost once you overcome the storage issues. Triazone based slow release N is a lot more expensive than most of the granular forms that are popular today.

That said, the was the ethanol boys keep buying land contracts & urea, even granular is going to be hard for some people to get.
  4. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

As I said above it has to be liquid so what is an approx. cost per app?
  5. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget, if you are spraying liquid fertilizer during fungus prone times without mixing in a fungicide, you are setting yourself up for major problems.
  6. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Figure out your cost per K , labor, stop fee etc.. the last 2 depend on what you want to charge. I beleive around here Tru Burn charges $29.95 for their early spring APP. For 7K my price, for my area, would be around $45 -$50(i also hit cracks and Dr. Ways if needed w/ glyphosate) thats the competitive price range. It's all relevant to what the going rate is in your area. Oh, Preventative Fungicides are a seperate program and charge.
  7. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member

Tru Burn??? lol thats Funny I here they are for sale.
  8. Frank Fescue

Frank Fescue LawnSite Senior Member

Scotts was actually going to try a hostile takeover of Tru Green a couple years back, Nothing ever materialized from it.
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i do most all liquid (except for very large properties) and the liquid slow release is more $$ but i like to customize my apps, with granular it's very hard and next to impossible if it has control products. i am going to try uflexx this year and hope it will work good enough that i can stop using NBN as a slow release source. as far a granular being faster to apply.... i'd say anything under 20K (i don't spread granular unless it's 2 acres +) can be sprayed faster then a granular app. by the time you get your spreader out, load it, apply it, put it back in the truck, and blow off walks, i'm long gone. as far as 3gal K, i run 1.5-2.0gal K depending on howmany sq ft i'm doing for the day and how far i want my tank mix to go. sometimes i'll go as little as 1.0gal K if it's just weed control.
  10. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I used UFLEXX for years in Granular form. I have no complaints. Never burned, nice consistent feeding good stuff.