Liquid Pre M/ Dimension or granular combo

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Nov 27, 2007.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Im just wondering what you prefer I was thinking of trying the liquid Pre M next year, and using a granular fert for round 1. Mostly because crabgrass only grows in the full sun, along drive and walks. We have alot of accounts w/ a good amount of trees, so my thought was why put down the product unnessesarily(sp?)

2. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

That's basically IPM practice. I was thinking about that also; Dimension WP for control, and granular fert. But there are 2 drawbacks. It's more expensive (I think), and more labor intensive.

Off the top of my head, it costs me about $1.20/K for dimension WP. A bag of fert for that time of year runs a little more than $1/K.

A bag of dimension + fert runs about $20 (next year's "maybe" price). That's $2/K.

You could also do ALL liquid. I myself wouldn't, I wouldn't trust myself spraying N evenly vs an even spread with a lesco spreader.

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Have you ever used the liquid Pre-M?
    You mess up while you're spraying it, you'll come home looking like an orange!

If you like that product, though,...
    I'd check out BASF's 'Pendulum Aquacap'
    It is micro encapsulated pendimethalin (Pre-M), which means that it holds up much better under the sunlight compared to the old formulation, and it cleans up a heck of a lot better too.

I've used this in the landscape.
    It's wonderful!
    ----
    I myself am a Dimension WSP user, and I don't do too much SCU any more.
    I get almost all of my liquid slow release fertilizer from Morral and spray everything.

4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I've done that many years. I used to be all granular, so far as fert goes. I would apply fert in the spring then I would go around the edges, weedy areas and thin areas with a mix of Barricade (prodiamine) and 3-way. To be honest, I got great results, I could go at a very high rate with the Barricade and still only use a small amount of product because I was only treating about 1/4 to 1/5 of the lawn.
    The only problem with the system is that it is time intensive. I used 6 gallon electric sprayers on wheels that I built. I would need to re-mix about every 3 lawns. I carried 65gal of fresh water, but re-mixing still took 2-3 minutes.

A lot of people are partial to Dimension, I have never been a big fan, it is OK to use in late spring early summer, (it will control all the way into the early tillering stages), but for your first app I think it may be a poor choice, it just doesn't last that long. I would consider using prodiamine, (like stonewall or Barricade. It is an excellent product, at higher use rate you can really get 9+ months of control. Yes it does stain a little, but not like Pendi.

5. Marcos

That's a great product with a great residual, true.
    Too great!

What do you do if you have a summer drought situation and everything goes to pot after using Stonewall or Barricade in say, Feb, March or April?
    Do you think you can get in there and seed come August, early Sept?

NO!

That's why I've always been one of the folks who've believed that prodiamine works too good for turf, and should be left in the landscape where it was designed to be used in.

6. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I live in a desert, everyone here irrigates, no one overseeds, so it isn't a concern.

7. Marcos

Yeah...you probably would need the 'high octane' stuff for those conditions!