Liquid Snapshot or granular?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Likestomow, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I was told by Lesco that it was always better to use the dry-flowable Snapshot rather than the granular. I’d appreciate hearing some comments.
  2. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Pre-emergent is pre-emergent. The same argument is always out there, is liquid better than granular, etc, etc.

Your distribution of chemical is always better with a liquid, in my opinion. It also requires more calibrated equipment to apply liquids, it also is typically cheaper than a granular. Granular is easy to apply.

Personally, I use granular in beds most of the time, but sometimes I will tank mix surflan with Roundup to save the extra step and it allows me to see where I have been without using a marker.

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The Lesco guy is trying to clean out the old stuff - really old stuff, LOL. Snapshot started as a DF formulation, combo of Gallery and Surflan. Within a few years they switched to a granular formulation of trifluralin and Gallery: cheaper to make and also could formulate as granular. Haven't seen DF for years, and even Dow does not list it on their website.

So if you want to try it (unless he has a ton of it, you won't get any more), I'd offer him to take it off his hands for 5¢. It's at least 8-10 years old. You might want to check with a Dow rep to find out if it is still going to be effective, too.

Whooeee, salesmen!!
  4. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

Liquid or the DF formulation of Snapshot was discontinued several years ago, however you can mix Gallery with a number of
    other preemergent products, dimension, surflan, Pre-M and the list goes on.

It's really a matter of personal preference. Granular requires no mixing, yet liquids are often easier to calibrate and apply more evenly.

Most important is getting the right amount of product to the right place at the right time. That's your biggest challenge.
  5. Add to above,; try spraying a liquid around living plants...

Might kill some.
  6. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. I now feel comfortable with the granular product.