1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Liquid / Spray Rig Set Up

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by PB34, May 12, 2006.

1. PB34

PB34 LawnSite Member

I am setting up a fertilizer/spray rig. I have a 7x14 enclosed trailer I use to transport my perma-green magnum & material. Regarding the liquid, I am thinking of purchasing a 100 gallon tank (and a pump) to re-fill the magnum during the day. This tank and pump would also be in the trailer.

For the pump, I am thinking of a mini-pump, a gas honda model in the Northern Tool catalog.

Anyone else have a similar set up, or any suggestions? What does everyone else use for bringing extra liquid to re-fill their equipment?

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

what i did to save money on the equipment and repair/downtime was this.. mount your 100gal tank on a stand/bench in the trailer higher then the PG, then take a 1" hose from the bottom of the tank with a ball valve on the other end (or what i had, a gas dispenser type fill nozzle (i bought it from dultmeier, made by banjo). you would not belive how fast this will fill you PG! i have an ultra and it fills the 8gal tank in about 30sec. if you want a pump that will pump this fast you will spend big money. and last but not least you can get all this, except for the tank, under $100 and it will NEVER fail you (as long as we still have gravity to force the water out)
  3. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i did forget one thing, i mix chemical in the PG tank, not the 100gal holding tank, this way you dont have to worry about agitation, product setting around mixed in your trailer waiting for the soccer mom eating a hamburger, driving, talking on her cell, and yelling at her kids to ram your trailer and have a 100gal chemical spill to clean up! and i can also fill my back pack sprayers up as needed thru-out the day
  4. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use a 5 gpm 12 volt electrical pump to transfer water from my tank to my Permagreen. I got the pump from Northern Tool & Equipment. It must pump faster than 5 gpm because my 12 gallon Permagreen tank fills in less than a minute.
  5. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 7x14 enclosed and a Z-spray. I use a 200 gallon Lesco spacesaver for tree sprays and to nurse the Z.
  6. PB34

PB34 LawnSite Member

Grandview, how do you power your pump, I assume a battery, what type?
  7. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have a 12v shureflow hooked up to my truck battery, I tried the gravity fill but I didn't want to set the tank up high in the bed of my truck, this way I can fill over the side of the bed.
  8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use my van battery. I ran 14 gauge wire from my battery to the back of the van.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How long does it take to fill with the shurflow pump? 8 gallon, or 12?
  10. Rhett@Gregson-Clark

Rhett@Gregson-Clark Sponsor

Here is an 80 gallon fill system that we make. This has a foot print of 18" x 27" and is 45" high. It has a 5 gpm 12-volt demand pump on top with a valved agitation line for mixing if necessary. A switch and wiring is included. These are very popular for nursing self propelled sprayers. It includes a strap and buckles for securing the tank to a side wall. $ 375 plus shipping.

80 gallon fill (4).JPG