Liquid vs air cooled

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bwa, Jan 13, 2005.

1. bwa

bwa LawnSite Member

How much longer does a liquid cool last more than an air cooled? Is it worth the price difference?

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

don't have figures, but liquid is the way to go , for sure.
    heat is the enemy of HP. You can have a much more reliable and higher performance engine with liquid cooling.

3. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I have a LC Lazer Z. The longevity is pretty substantial... as mention above the run much cooler than the Air Cooled. They also are a lot quieter than the Air cooled....

4. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

From what I have heard they last at least double that of an air-cooled. Then jumping to diesel doubles that. That's why I bought a diesel.

5. B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc

B&B Lndscpng & Lwn Srvc LawnSite Member

BWA,
    I got into the same conversation with sales reps from various manufacturers when i made my last mower purchase. A few years ago the liquids beat the air's hands down. With todays engine technology the airs are lasting much longer and the liquids haven't changed much. I personally went with air cooled on the last few scags i bought. They all have the kohlers on them. I also like the kawasaki's, i believe they are both good long lasting hard working engines. I will save the extra $1000 i would pay for a liquid and add it to another new mower next year.

6. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

The numbers I've heard are 300 hrs. for a air cooled and 6000 for a liquid. I have a liquid Kawi and I don't think I would buy another one. I just think for the extra money it wasn't worth it, plus I like rotating mowers out of the fleet about every 2000 hrs. And also here in Minnesota we don't get the extreme heat so there is not as much need for the liquid. Don't get me wrong it has been a great machine. I just don't think I would get another.

7. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

a good point that JK makes is thatwhile they do last long in order to reap that benefit you would need to keep it a long time....

I bought a LC because I got a leftover 04 for a little less than a 05 air cooled.. I wouldnt have paid the extra money for the LC I just got a good deal.... They are considerably quieter which is a nice feature

8. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

All the engines we get are air cooled Kohlers and we have had excellent results from them and thats all we'll be buying from now on. We don't put enough hours on our machines to need a liquid cooled.

9. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I run my Scag for 9 hrs straight on some days. I've had it for 4 yrs now. I don't know if it would still be as good if it were air cooled. I'd go liquid cooled if you can afford it.

10. Daddio

Daddio LawnSite Member

The weight and cost of liquid is not worth it to me, just use mobile one and don't worry about the heat and put the money you saved in your pocket!