liquid vs. granular pre-emerge

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Mar 3, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

what form is everyone applying there first apps. I'm in northern ohio and have heard several arguments for both. Some worry about pumps freezing in aprril. Some say your winterizer should take care of your fert till app 2 and u should go liquid to save $. Is there alot of $ saved when going liquid for pre-emerge, about to sit down with the calc and see if going from my usual granular pre-m/fert to liquid pre-m will be beneficial.

2. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Done some quick figures and going liquid will save me big. I just do not want to lose color before late may begining of june before my next app. thanx for any thoughts.

3. cod8825

cod8825 LawnSite Senior Member

wiseguy,

I use granular not because it is cheaper because for me it is not. I use granular because it is safer for me and the people that work with me. Safety first, just somethin to think about.

Matt

4. jspray

jspray LawnSite Member

With a good sprayer and foam marker you can do a much better application with liquid. Research shows more uniformity in material distribution by spraying.
    We use Proedge sprayers. See at proedgesprayer.com

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I spray both my first and second rounds. I get instant protection since the pre-m is in liquid form as opposed to waiting on the granules to get rained or watered in. It's nice to kill all the weeds that had already germinated in late fall as well.

I think I get a more even coverage because I use tracker dye and can see where I've been.

Besides I can put 4 products in one tank and get alot done in one pass. Fert, Iron, pre-m and post-m herbicides all in one tank.