Liquid Weed and Feed?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by lawnguru wannabe, Apr 4, 2012.

1. lawnguru wannabe

lawnguru wannabe LawnSite Member

What does everyone think of putting down a liquid weed and feed, and what do you recommend? I would like to kill the broadleafs, clover, and dandelions before they become an issue, and hit it with fertilizer at the same time. I have always used the granular fertilizer, but am wondering if there is a big trade-off with using the liquid stuff, since I can apply the weed killer and fertilizer at the same time.

I'm in Wisconsin.

Thanks!

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

liquid weed control works better. Save on labor by going over it only once. But I prefer dry products for crabgrass control. Dry products also are usually at a much higher ratio of slow release.

3. Ferris68

Ferris68 LawnSite Member

I use liquid fertilizer and broadleaf weed control. I spray Coron fertilizer and either End Run or battleship III herbicide. I also am spaying Dimension 2EW for my pre-emergent. If you have customers who want insecticide or grub control these can also be added to the mix so you are charging for 2,3 or 4 applications depending on how you bill and only going over the lawn one time. I shop at Helena Chemical

4. lawnguru wannabe

We've had an early green-up here in WI, as is the case for around the country I'm sure. Is it too early for fertilizer/weed and feed still?

I think I might try the weed/feed in the granular fall/winterizer stuff later in the year.

How many applications do you guys put down a year between fertilizer and weed control? I've heard the best times to get rid of the dandelions is in the fall?

5. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

You could spray dandelions right now while they have the little yellow flags marking their location... My son uses a product that kills the plant and the flower, so you never get the seeds...

6. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Old company ,we used to run liquid only. 46-0-0.weed control,potash ,crabgrass control all in one tank for our first app.

Green Grass USA likes this.
  7. lawnguru wannabe

grandview, isn't that a lot of nitrogen to put down?

8. grandview (2006)

250 gallon tank of water #50 0f 46-0-0 in each one during the spring. Sometimes 100# in each.

9. lawnguru wannabe

50lbs of 46-0-0 fertilizer in a 250 gallon tank, sometimes 100 lbs of that...is that what i'm reading here? if that's the case i guess it's not too much.

10. grandview (2006)

Sprayed out at 3 gals per 1,000sqft