Liquid Weed and Feed?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by lawnguru wannabe, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Cheffy

Cheffy LawnSite Member

Guru

I get alot of my product in Middleton Wi. At a place called John Deere Landscapes. They will give you all the info you need . On either liquid or dry granular.

2. lawnguru wannabe

lawnguru wannabe LawnSite Member

Smallaxe, do you put down any fertilizer or spray for weeds in the spring at all, or do you just concentrate on the fall?

3. wrxscby

wrxscby LawnSite Member

I'm in the northeast and have had great success by doing a granular dimension and dry fert app beginning in mid march followed by a liquid 25-0-0 coron, dimension 2ew, momentum fx2 in april/may. Havent had any trouble with violets, ground ivy, oxalis as long as customer waters and keeps mowing height at 2.5-3". I also do my fall (sept-oct) apps with the liquid 25-0-0 and momentum. Late fall I use a 32-0-8 and man do they ever have a quick green-up the following spring!! I use Helena chemical company and John Deere Landscapes ( the old Lesco) for all of my products!! Hope this may help!!

4. Frogballs

Frogballs LawnSite Member

Can you explain how you apply these products, as in the equipment used to apply each application?

5. wrxscby

wrxscby LawnSite Member

For my granular apps I use a perma-green triumph or solo belly spreader. Apply at 4lbs/1000sqft. I have an isuzu cab over that has two small honda engines(one for lawn, one for tree/shrub). Apply liquids at about 2gal/1000sqft. Not sure what the pumps are on the truck. I'm used to the old d25 and d10's they use to use on the chemlawn hippos but these little pumps I have work very efficiently!

6. Frogballs

Frogballs LawnSite Member

Thanks wrxscby! Do you mix the Momentum fx2 and the liquid 25-0-0 coron, dimension 2ew in the same tank?

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I am thinking liquid is not cheaper...why...the labor to apply granular fert is less; it goes on faster. And the equipment (spreader) is cheaper and has much less maintenance.

Of course, I think liquid is superior for weed control. So I always used liquid fert and weedo in June and october.

8. lawnguru wannabe

lawnguru wannabe LawnSite Member

What steps do you guys take from spring through fall as far as fertilizer, weed control, then dethatching and aerating? I guess what I'm asking, is when do you apply and do these things, and why at that time?

Thanks!

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I run as weed/feed is 2-4d and 16-4-4

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

We've mowed a couple of times now and the ground is starting to warm up, inspite of the constant frost and trees, so as a result the grass is starting to get a great deal of dark green color in it... becuz of the soil temps going up and rains, not because I added fertilizer already...
    Winterizer is the most important factor for Spring greenup... I put down fertilizer(milorganite) a couple of days early this year, becuz we are wanting to take advantage of the rains, this week... besides, Milorganite usually takes time to release... we might put down some synthetic fertilizer later in May as a time release, then we are done until after the heat...

Some weeds have been spot sprayed already w/out fert and hopefully the Month of May will be more favorable to broadleaf spraying than April was...