1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Liquid Weed and Feed?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by lawnguru wannabe, Apr 4, 2012.

1. lawnguru wannabe

lawnguru wannabe LawnSite Member

Ya, I was thinking a liquid weed and feed application in early May, granule fertilizer end of June-ish, then a liquid 2-4D spraying in later September, then mid-October winterizer. How does that sound?

2. BTC

BTC LawnSite Member

What do you do to "winterize" a lawn?

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Fertilizing early June may be alright,,, but I would seriously reconsider doing a late June anything... Wisconsin Summer Sun can be brutal with 16 hrs of heat and steam everyday... forcing topgrowth during this period is when most of your problems will start...
    Sometimes even letting it go dormant as it should, will STILL present problems, but wise irrigation is the only thing you want to do for cool season grasses in summer heat...

Start the 'winterizer' in late August through late September... once the Summer heat is past the grass roots will be actively growing again... as the weather turns even cooler(first frost) the plants will begin storing carbs for the winter... that is when you want the ferts and water available... :)

4. Smallaxe

All it amounts to is feeding the plant as it begins to store up food for the winter... K is often added to ensure adequate supply for 'hardening off' the plants as the weather gets colder... K, actually is an important ingredient for the plant's 'anti-freeze'...
    Water is also important, going into winter... most "Winter-Kill", that we observe is actually due to dessication, caused by winter winds...

5. BTC

BTC LawnSite Member

I own stock in Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan, so I'm a big fan of people using K on their lawns. It also makes a great Christmas gift.

6. Agent Dollar Spot

Agent Dollar Spot LawnSite Member

so how much total n are you fellas putting down on a 4-5 step program? 2.5-3 lbs per year ? How much for the price of n these days? some of these 6-7 steps with spoon feeding of urea and iron for summer looks not a bad idea? comments please!!!

7. Smallaxe

Programs are for businesses like TGCL that do a "One Size Fits All" service for suckers... What I generally reference is What is best for the lawn and When is is best time to do it...

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

This is odd. I fertilized my back yard. Late October, late November, double strength late November and not at all in different square areas. Shucks. I cannot see any difference at all. Its all green. Except the poa areas are light green. Partial shade area. Originally a quality bluegrass seed was used.

9. lawnguru wannabe

Oh, I meant adding fall fertilizer.

10. lawnguru wannabe

Isn't it hotter in late June than in early June?