liriope

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenman, Feb 9, 2003.

1. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I know that a few varities of Liriope kinda turn yellow when it gets cold. I have this one property that the liriope seems to be yellow almost all the time,except for spring and summer. I trim it down every year but by the end of the season it is yellow again. Any suggestions? Is this normal for some species of Liriope?

I tried to post a pic, but its always too big.

2. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

How is the leaf yellow? Is it yellow at the tip, or is it mottled yellow, etc.?

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

This decorative plant goes semi-dormat in the winter months, depending where you live. Once cold weather arrives, it should be cut back to the ground. When the growing season returns, new shoots will appear and the plant will resume it's normal look.

4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Ok, maybe this is a different variety that is commom around here. The monkey grass around here NEVER turns yellow and is always a deep green with shoots of berries in the summer. The stuff on this particular property, has never or almost never had any berries, that I can recall anyway. My thoughts were maybe this stuff is over crowded and has no room to grow anymore.

Maybe I can send a couple of pics to someone to review?

I just had a wild thought,LOL. Has anyone ever aerated a bed or beds that were full of thick Liriope to loosen the soil?:D

I cant seem to reduce the pics to post, but I will try again later.

5. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I finally got them to post.:mad:

liriope.jpg

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

If the first pic was a close up of turfgrass blades I'd say leaf spot. Anyway, here in S. Jersey, all liriope changes color during the winter months. We cut back early spring either w/ clean-ups or when mulching.

Bob

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

The first pic is a very close, close up of the liriope.
    The second pic is from a distance and its a blurred somewhat,hard to tell.

9. thartz

thartz LawnSite Senior Member

I was told that if you don't cut liriope back that it can rot from the inside out due to the center of the plant retainig too much moisture.You guys get the same info?

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

on the subject of cutting it back...i have one place that has tons of it ...not the easiest stuff to cut back..do you use hand shears?
    the power hedge shears dont work well on it...