Lirope (Monkeygrass) Transplanting

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jcasper, Sep 27, 2005.

1. jcasper

jcasper LawnSite Member

My son wants some Lirope and we found a donor. When is the best time to transplant it? We live in Wilmington, NC>
  2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Liriope is pretty tough stuff. You could proably transplant it into frozen ground and it would still take.....

So long you are not moving any plant in the middle of summer you are ok. you just need to keep it watered. Ideally spring or late summer(now) is a good time. Plants are activily growing and should have enough time to get over any transplant shock prior to the winter months. Just keep the soil moist...
  3. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

anytime !!! the stuff is almost impossible to kill. I removed some from a job about a yr. ago brought it home and just set it on the ground next to the shed never watered it or planted it just set it down and it looks better the some established plant i've had for yrs
  4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

you can not kill this stuff. i have dug it up and thrown it onto what we call "sandridges," basically giant sandhills with little nutrients, 100 degree temps and what little water it receives goes straight through, and the stuff is still alive years later. i have also sprayed it with roundup and have had it re-sprout.

GREENGAR LawnSite Member

Yeah, just dig up a clump, separate into individual plants, plant out and keep watered. Here is Perth they thrive, once you have some you will always be able to split them and get more plants to free.
    I've started using some Aussie native Dianella grasses on jobs, they are even tougher than liriope, once established they are drought tolerant which is good with our water restrictions.