Liscense question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by packerbacker, Jun 5, 2005.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Im thinking about going into business with someone. Right now I sub all my chemicals to another company but he ( my soon to be partner) wants to start doing them. He's studying for his test and will take it in July.

My question is: As owners of the company if he is the only one doing the apps do I need my certification also?

2. goforgreen2

goforgreen2 LawnSite Member

Depends on the state. Here in Fl. as long as the CO only hangs his cert on your wall, he can ID you for three years and then you're eligible.

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would strongly advise against taking on a partner. Do a search for "partner" and you will see what others are saying about partnerships. Never seems to work.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

The kansas test is easy, believe me, I know. Personally, I would never do the partner thing....even with friend or relative. No, you do not need to be certified. After certification he will need to get insurance. Once he get insurance, he will need to show proof if insurance to get his business license. Do everything by the book. At the end of the season you will be visited by someone from the dept of agriculture to check all your records and to make sure you have your business license on your truck. Tell your partner to beaware because when they visit him, they will quiz him about ppe, storage of chemicals and so forth.

Good luck

5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Cool, thanks for the advice.

Especially on the partner thing. This is not something we are taking lightly. We have poured over the pros and cons to this and talked to many other business owners in both our families about this.