1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Liscensing Requirements For Washington State

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by two_planks, Jan 8, 2004.

1. two_planks

two_planks LawnSite Member

I am an Arborist/ Landscaper in Alberta and am thinking about relocating to Washington state. Any info on what liscences, insurance, etc are required to do buissness as either or both Arborist/ Landscaper in WA would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Nw. Shadesofgreen

Nw. Shadesofgreen LawnSite Member

Nice picture.
    I am from Washington and will try to help you out. You will need to get a business licsense from the deparrtment of Revenue.
    They will be able to help you and let you know what requirementswill be.
    Just do an internet search for the state of washington government.
    I think the address is accesswa.gov I might be wrong.
    Good Luck.
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. two_planks

Thanks all. I found that site and it was very usefull. I'm planning on coming down late Feb. How is that for timing in central WA, Yakima Valley/ Tri Cities area.
  5. two_planks

6. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

Start here first http://www.dol.wa.gov/businesses.htm. This is Washington states dept of licensing (DOL) business website. It will actually walk you through 90% of your business license questions.

Essentially you need to apply for a master business license to start work. Depending on your business structure and the specific work you want to do there may be other licesnses or registrations that you will need. If you are going to incorporate, you'll need to apply to the "secretary of state" for corporate status. Some businesses require a contractor registration issued by the Washington dept of Labor and Industries. Btw, Dept of L & I offices are set up to take master license applications and collect fees. If you're going to have employees, you'll need to notify the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Additionally, some cities require you to purchase their jurisdictions license.

I know it looks bad, but its not as bad as you'd think to go through the process. It does cost a few bucks the first time, but renewals are much cheaper. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll do what I can to help you out.
  7. two_planks

Yeah it looked a little overwhelming at first but once I looked through the sites its not really that complicated. Both of those sites are good and link to each other. See you all in a few months. Once I get there I'll probably have a bunch more questions.