lisenced = better?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Feb 22, 2008.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I'm sittin' around Larry's. My name is Mason. Here's what I can't figure out.

I've read many posts regarding having some sort of liscense. Sure -- that's a good thing, but does it mean that an employee is always qualified to do things right????????? These posts really kill me. IMO a license has NOTHING to do with applying products correctly. It depends upon a good employee.

I also hate the Iowa State Pesticide bureau, cuz they are way out of line.

We recently got f---ked by the Iowa Pesticide guys. Customer's next door neighbor was at fault -- not us, and the next door customer agrees too. Sad deal, and we got screwed.

Bottom line: Does a "license" make a person better?

2. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Mason, It's REAL easy to register on lawnsite, then you don't have to act like Larry's tagalong B!tch.

To your question, or Larry's?? (again?)... It's a matter of the law. If you can't even take the time, or have the smarts to pass the simple pesticide tests, then you are either: Lazy, Stupid, or both. (as well as ILLEGAl if you apply without a license)

I don't belive the feds should regulate firearms, But I do have a Federal Firearms Dealers license, even though it's a pain, & many people know more about firearms than I and operate (illegally) without a license. Anyone that is engaged in that business, as well as selling liquor, pharmacuticals, etc. where a license is required has one, unless they are in one of the catagories mentioned above. :)

It's the right thing to do! Hey, do youguys have drivers licenses? I know some people with thier licenses revoced that can drive better than a 16 yr. old with a valid licence!

3. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

"Mason", it takes about 30 seconds to set up your own screen name. You could call yourself americanlawn II. Your "boss" has started quite a few threads like the topic you're mentioning. You can do a search.

Thank You!

4. NattyLawn

NattyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Beat me by a minute Liberty...

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

PERRY, I beleive a license is only the seed to which you really start the learning process. A License only means you spent the time to not get busted. Knowledge is a lot harder to come by than some mandated peice of paper.

6. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

"some sort of license"? Doesn't sound like you are certified, but you call the tests bogus? Have you taken the test? Or cracked any of the books for it? Getting certified is pretty easy in some states, and fairly difficult in others. Florida has a reputation for being one of the toughest. Think you could pass that test right now? Or how bout NY? Quick, how many generations can the birch leaf miner produce in a season?

Being certified doesn't make one a good pesticide applicator, but it at least does ensure that some of the basics have been learned. Like someone said, just because you have a driver's license doesn't mean you are a good driver, but at least you were good enough to demonstrate the ability to control a vehicle and are aware of the laws and rules of the road. Whether or not you are a danger on the road has little to do with it. Drive like an idiot, then you are an idiot. Use pesticides like a moron, then you are a moron.

Maybe people that drive shouldn't be licensed too?

7. Shades of Green LService

If your talking to me, then YES i have a license, i have "cracked books" I have no idea how the TEST is in other states, for i live in NEW JERSEY, so i can only speak for NJ. Birch leaf miner 3 generations w/ the 1st being concidered the most destructive. Don't be so damn sensitive.

8. GREEN-UP

GREEN-UP LawnSite Member
    from sw ohio

Its people who are not Licensed, and un educated in our field that ruin or trade. I am certain you could nor one of your employees diagnos aproblem the correct way. It takes going to classes, in field experience, and being in contact w your DOA extension people that inform you of what to expect. Those that are unlicensed hurt me, because I FOLLOW THE LAWS AND PAY THE FEES!!! So, hope ya dont get caught.

9. Shades of Green LService

Were not talking about Drivers licenses are we.

10. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

What made you think that post was directed at you? LOL. It was directed towards "Mason, the good employee".