List of customers that don't pay

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mike9497, Jan 18, 2003.

1. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

this past year i had a few people who never paid up for my services.i was thinking about some how making up lists of customers that don't pay and have it put on the web so all the landscapers in that area can look at it so they don't get screwed.like others have.to bad lawnsite can't do this.same goes for plowing to.i figured it can go by towns,persons number and address,because the BBB takes care of customers but not us and i think that sucks.let me know what u guys think

2. jslawncare

jslawncare LawnSite Member

Yeah but we have people all over the US visiting the site, and the chances that they run into these people are slim to none, I really don't see how it could help much..sorry for being overcrticial...

3. ConPro

ConPro LawnSite Member

This is a reason landscapers go out of business. Suck it up and forget about it or as I do it, go get paid! Knock up, at an oppurtune time and ask to get paid. Ask a lawyer to right you letters if that doesn't work. I have never not gotten paid. If they are real scumbags, I will threaten them, but don't lay a finger on them. Ask for less than what your owed and they'll pay. Some is better than none. Strap a set on, get your money!:angry:

4. jslawncare

Lol, reminds me of an idea of when me and a associate thought 'Hey they dont pay? we'll wait awhile and then put lots of fertilizer on spots of their lawn and kill it out, then we'll be even:D '

5. mike9497

well i have a set thank you.i was just saying that i thought it would be a good idea to have a list like this so if they call you.you know about there history.other scapers have called me in the past and told me to stay away from an old customer of theres

6. jslawncare

It might be a good idea to set up this with some local scapers...

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

mike--there is bad idea written all over what you are saying.

you need to look out for number one.

the more energy you spend on this is energy that can never be spent on gaining proffitable accounts.

that's what I think.

GEO

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Whether you like it or not, it's the cost of doing business. It's deductible at the end of the year with your taxes, that's better than nothing. Anything sizeable would be worth pursuing if there was a contract of some sort. The small stuff would just have to get written off. Stinks, but some people are just a POS. :)

9. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike

I like the idea. A landscaper in the area whos shop we stop by every few weeks to hang out after work has a list set up like this. All the LCOs in the area who stop by there throw a few names on. Its never come in handy for me yet...but i hear its worked for others in our area. It may not be as effective on a national scale...but i like the idea...good thinkin

10. mike9497

thanks PRO.i just feel once other companies hear about these people they will save themselves alot of crap.plus these people will either have to start paying or go down to home depot and buy there own mower.i don't like how the BBB is there for the customer but yet when the customer doesn't pay or does something worse the BBB won't even give you paper to wipe your A**.When i said "i wanna know what you guys think" i wanted to see how everyone felt about this because i think there has to be some kind of support from the BBB.plus im not all about the money.i knew when i got into this trade that i was going to die a poor old man and thats just fine with me.money isn't everything.you can have millions one day and be dead the next.its what you do in your life that you feel is meaningful.because im friends with most landscapers in my area is bad because i wanna make something that will benefit them and myself