1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

List of licensed/insured lco's?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Let it Grow, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Let it Grow

Let it Grow LawnSite Senior Member

I just had an idea today to compile a list of all of the licensed & insured lco's in my area and get some information on each company, and put it all together in a brochure, and send it to as many people as possible. The reason I would like to do this is to help out us guys who are serious about this business and run our companies legally. And help weed out some scrubs. Basically let the homeowners in the area see who the reputable lco's are.
    What do you guys think? So you think it would be worth the time?
  2. craigs lawncare

craigs lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I don't mean to sound cold with this reply, but if you are going to do that, then why don't you include the phone number of your competition as well? :)
    Just find a way to add this info (that you are licenced and insured) into your advertising. I always add my liability insurance to my bid. It is just another selling point.
    Don't wory so much about what others are doing... worry about yourself.

3. snippy

snippy LawnSite Member

"Don't wory so much about what others are doing... worry about yourself. "

Thats great advice Craig... and I don't mean great advice just for Let it grow... I mean great advice in general. :)
  4. therainman

therainman LawnSite Member
    from IL

there are a couple of us here in my area that have considered forming an assoc. and adv. as to the benefits of using qualified and insured professionals.

never done it though.. if u do it let us know how it comes out.
  5. JJOHN22042

JJOHN22042 LawnSite Member
    from MA

I would watch what you say about the other people if your going to put it on paper. Remember it could come back at you. I would put something like make sure your lawn service co has insurance be safe.
  6. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

The more WE (all licensed & insured LCO's that are running a LEGITIMATE BUSINESS) can inform & educate customers THE BETTER.

Our uninsured/unlicensed competition doesn't "sell" their business to the customer by saying "we're not licensed or insured so we can pass the savings on to you!"

Customers can get PLENTY of PHONE NUMBERS of LCO's in our area. Numerous flyers are attached to our mail boxes daily in this area. THE POINT is to let the POTENTIAL CUSTOMER know WHO IS A LEGITIMATE BUSINESS (via LET IT GROW's brochure)and who is not.

The other point is HE IS WORRYING ABOUT HIS BUSINESS. HE is apparently sick of seeing (as I am too) unlicensed & uninsured companies undermine the legitimate companies. LEVEL PLAYING FIELD is what I'm talking about! If you are supposed to have a license, insurance (work comp, general liab.), meet D.O.T. requirements, etc., THEN WE SHOULD ALL MEET THEM. Those that don't have a lower pricing structure that UNDERMINES ALL LEGITIMATE BUSINESSES because they don't have the expenses!

7. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

some good points there Mike....

my small niche of ride on mowing only in my small town is becoming less daily by a guy/s running a cheap rider, no insurance etc, no boots, cig in mouth, no trimming, rough as and cheap as, where I am running a new 60'' ztr, insured , etc, etc. in my area these beer money pros DO effect my business, those that say they are somehow above these guys and not effected are very fortunate and lucky to be in areas with lots of work, here price dictates over quality and the beer money guys will win most bids. low standars, low prices, simple. I don't work that way which believe it or not will be my downfall in my area.
  8. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I call the CT DEP to get a list of License Bus. to see who is Licenced and registered to apply pesticides. So I can know who is legally applying and who is not!
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I make it a point to tell every customer that we will include our proof of insurance, any licensing, and a reference list for them to view. I send it even if they say not to worry about it. I make it a point to say that I "urge" you to call our customers on the reference list. We are a reliable and professional company and to take these things into consideration when comparing quotes. I tell them that we do not price to compete, but to satisfy.

The rest is up to them. I'm not in the least bit interested with getting together with other companies and compiling a list of sorts.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would be worried about it putting your competitions names out there.