List your best practices suggestion

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Lawn-Scape, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Lawn-Scape

Lawn-Scape LawnSite Member

I thought it might be interesting to start a best practices thread.

Here's one-
    Never fill your lawn mower while the mower is on the customers' grass. Spills will cause dead spots.

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Always check the fuel level BEFORE mowing, to ensure you can finish the lawn without running out in the middle, and spilling gas on the lawn while filling up...:laugh:

3. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

All the stand-ups for a sandmound system drainfield are not necessarily symetrical.
    I like to make sure I find all of them before Mr. Marbane does.

A

4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Don't do anything extra that a customer will want for free over and over again, even if you're being nice.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Always act like you know what you're talking about.........even when you don't!!

6. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i disagree. if you don't have an answer, tell them you are not sure, but you will find out and call them back when you say you will. better than damaging something. now if it is an astrophysics question and they aren't a professor, then maybe, but otherwise, i think it is better to be truthful than to hear a customer say "you told me to.....and now ...."

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, one of my favorite answers: I don't know.

8. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

:clapping: :drinkup: :headphones: :usflag:

9. topsites

Two (edit: no, three... four! five) practices I've used before:

- To train myself to NEVER set down running equipment (i.e.: leaving a trimmer idling for 'just a second') I turned up the idle on them to where the rotary part would not stop moving, forcing me to turn it OFF whenever I set it down. Once it became habit, I reset the idle to normal.

- Whenever you turn off a handheld 2-cycler, once the engine dies, click the switch back to ON so next time you go to start it, the ignition is on already.

- With your emergency supplies, carry a fuel syphon kit. Your truck can refuel the Wb in a pinch (and actually vice-versa as well), also if a 2-cycler runs out and you're out of mix fuel, if another 2-cycler has some fuel, a quick transfer may save you a trip home.

- On some stubborn (hard to start) equipment, it can help to 'choke' it off, that is to turn it off while running by setting the choke and letting it flood itself out. Leave the choke set after it is off, then before you go to start it, turn the choke off and pull, most of them will start in one pull but there is one drawback: Before you turn it off, make sure you are done with it because once it is choked off, it will not start easily for at least 5-10 minutes.

- The weedtrimmer can act as a blower in a pinch. The trick is in the airflow created by the string, angling the head strategically can clear light debris. For clearing a sidewalk, running the trimmer down the center with the head flat at Wot will usually clear it. Of course, the Wb clears clippings off the driveway and paved areas as well.

10. topsites

This prevents costly mistakes:

I find developing a routine is the best way to do things (yup, same ole same ole). This way, once you got your rhythm down, everything is in steps and you always do it in those exact steps. Doesn't really matter which order you decide that for yourself, but always do it the same way.

The above has prevented me from leaving the trailer gate down, and many other things that used to happen to me all the time, by developing a set method of doing things, one is less likely to forget to do something.