listen to this

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by webfoot, Apr 13, 2006.

1. webfoot

webfoot LawnSite Member

I put a bid on a apartment complex for old people.It is a pretty big complex and the only reason I bid it was a guy I work with is retireing and wants to make about five hundred dollars a month.Well the woman who oversees this place said that biding would end on the 31 0f March.She then went on to tell me I had the bid,but would be out of the office the first week of April.So I call her on the phone to get the contract signed and she says some other guy guy came in 60 dollars cheaper.But she let it slip that it was on Monday the 10th of April.There was also supposed to be a start date of April 15 and he has already mowed it.I bid the place too cheap to begin with just so my buddy could help me and make some money so its no big deal to me.But this guy that got the bid is retired and doesn't have anything else to do and it is his buisness if he can work that cheap,but if he would work at market value he could work less and make more money.This woman would have probably give him the bid if he had undercut me by 10 bucks.The lowballers and property managers that don't do what they say stink in this buisness.This is the longest post I have ever made but I had to rant.
    By the way residental is where it is at in my book.

2. welcome to the lawn business.

3. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I 2nd that respnse, happens alot!

4. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

What about the property management companies whos husband owns a lawn maintenance company. I lost an account last year to them once the new Property management co was onboard. Found out that the hubby takes care of nearly all the properties she manages. The HOA requires she takes bids, but gee, ya think she can tell hubby what the lowest bid is?

5. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

Grrrrrrr!!!!!!! HOAs suck! whoever came up with that idea needs an open handed slap in the mouth.

REV.

6. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I've bid on three HOA's and never gotten one of them, which is fine by me. Too many chiefs as far as I'm concerned. The last was put out to bid because they were having quality issues. You can only expect so much when you drive the price down to nothing but people don't seem to understand that and you can talk and talk and talk about it but in the end, people still want something for nothing.

7. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

being out bid by 60.00 bucks per week inst that much difference if its a big complex. sometimes on larger properties bids will be all over tha place.-