Listing "Contracted" price on door hanger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by littlenic, Jan 12, 2004.

1. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

When listing price on door-hanger, I have it listed as follows:
    Contracted price to service your yard $__________

Do you thing having it listed, as Contracted will cost me customers? I think it may let the potential customer know I do contracts. I'm just starting out, thanks for you feed back.

littlenic
    :)

2. satxmow

satxmow LawnSite Member
    from tx

I will be doing the same thing this coming season. if it is a good price i believe they will give you a call. will you list how many cuts they get with the price?

3. tx_angler

tx_angler LawnSite Senior Member

You might think about avoiding the word "contract".

Maybe rephrase it to:

"We can cut your lawn for as low as $___________ with an annual service agreement."

That would get your point across about the agreement and leave you room to upsell extras.

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I only thing is you have to do an estimate on each house you hang a doorhanger, might not take to much longer but then you cant have anyone help you hang them unless they know how to do lawn estimates.

5. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a bad idea.

But what about the back yard, or areas you can't see?

6. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I could not do that in my area, Lawns that I would do for 30$
    guys are doing for 15$ and then going out of business, I don't advertise. I let my business grow from word of mouth, saves me time and money that way. I have tried advertising and stopped after showing up on an estimate, and there was another landscaper there.

7. Master of the Lawn

Master of the Lawn Guest

Dont think this is a good idea. If you give them a price without talking to the customer and finding out what he/she wants you might get the job and regret it later when they ask for you to trim and expect it in the regular cost. Trimming is always extra from mowing.

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

First of all, I think the idea for listing a price for that home on your flyer or door hanger is a good idea. We've been doing that for a few years with great success.

As for mentioning the contract - I think that's a bad idea alltogether. I think it scares a lot of people away. In fact, I know it does. People tell me it does. So if you insist on going with contracts (I haven't done contracts for 8 years and do just fine) then I'd wait until you meet with them in person to go over the contract.

I'd handle it like this; My flyer would say, ""We can cut your lawn for as low as $___________ / month (or week). Please call for details."

And then when they call and say, "Hi. I got this flyer on my door. You quoted us $150 per month. And that sounds good. We'd like to sign up. What do I have to do?", then I'd respond with, "Well, we need to arrange a time to meet and go over our policies and get you signed up. What's good for you?"

Then at the meeting, I'd have the contract prepared already and I'd go over a list of things with them. What day of the week we'd be there, when I send out invoices, when payment is due, do they have a dog?, please move toys before we come, etc. etc. etc. And then at the end I'd just say, "Well, that's about it. Does that sound fair?" And then wait for them to say YES (those famous words every salesman should get a client to say before making a sale).

Then after they say "Yes." I'd say, "Great. All I need from you is to read this and sign down here. Then, we'll begin service! (excited!!!)"

Then, I'd just let them assume this was just normal every day business. You'll be surprised. I think you'll find that 50% - 75% will just sign it, even with reading that they are signing up for a year. You're controlling the posture of the situation. And it would seem akward for them now, at the last minute, to want to question something. So most of them will just sign it. But a few, probably 25% will notice and actually mention the year-long-contract thing. And when that happens, you need to again re-assert yourself and take the correct posture. You're attitute and words should be something like, "Right. Well, like any reputable business, we have a 1 year agreement. But don't worry. You'll be very happy with our service. You'll have no reason to want to cancel. I take pride in my business and our good work. I'll do whatever it takes to please you. And most importantly, when we have to do this again in 1 year, I want to be able to earn your business NEXT YEAR too."

However you word it, you should just act like this is an every day thing for you and most companies (and it probably is) and that they have no reason to worry (which, they probably don't).

Still, since I know contracts do scare off some people, I think you should expect maybe 10% of people will be scared off by this and decide last minute not to sign up with you. In that case, if you're really stuck on contracts, then I guess I'd just say, "Well, think it over. We'd love to earn your business. If I can help, please call me." and leave. Expect to lose a few now and then and it won't come as a shock when it happens.

That's sales 101 for you. You're welcome. :cool:

9. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Jim, what a great post! It's been a while since I've used contracts but am using them again next year. Thank you for the refresher course and great advice.

10. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Jim,

As usual a great response and an excellent way to approach the contract issue. I do not use contracts and have not for 5 years, and do great without them also.:)