1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Listing in the Yellow Pages

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Wizard, Jul 11, 2001.

Listing in the Yellow Pages

Poll closed Jul 13, 2001.
  1. Worked Great For Me!

7 vote(s)
  2. Eh So-So

9 vote(s)
  3. Waste o Money

11 vote(s)
  1. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

Friday I am to meet with the local Yellow Pages to place my listing. The book will come out in October 2001 and be current until Oct 2002.

So I was wondering if it was worth it to place the bigger ad? All the listing will be alphebetical so I would be mid way down the list if I went with the standard listing. I guess I just want to hear everyones input on the subject of Yellow Pages listings.
  2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Best money you will ever spend! A large amount of our jobs come from yellow page calls. Fliers are a waste of money and time. When someone calls you from a yellow page ad they are looking for a service and pretty much know what they want.
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Don't spend the money on a high dollar ad. I had one and it cost me nearly $400.00 a month. I made it through that year and downsized it to a one liner with just the name and number.............same amount of calls for $13.70 a month.

A lot of people are going to tell you that yellow page callers are just price shopping.................sure they are. It's your job after you make contact with them to "sell" your company and explain why you are better than the competition. Flyers never worked and were just a waste of good trees to me. I get calls every day/week and some turn out to be pretty good accounts. It has worked for me and I will continue to advertise with them.
  4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

i've never tried the yellow pages, so the two above responses are interesting.

thinking like a consumer, i would and do call the bigger, color ads when i'm looking for something in the yellow pages. but the price can be quite harsh.

definatley looking forward to more responses on the yellow pages success or failure.
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Perhaps if your speaking about pure Landscaping or tree work, you might be right. But as far as Lawn Maintenance, I'd say flyers are the way to go in order to keep a tight work range.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

My ad costs about $400 a month, and its worth every penny, then some.
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I just priced a 2x3" size ad in our local book, $430.00 a month.

No way, just think about how much work you will have to do each month extra just to pay for the ad, no thanks. If you make a 20% profit you will have to do $2150.00 a month in sales just to pay for that one ad, NO WAY am I going to do that much work just to give away to the phone company.
  8. dhicks

dhicks Member

I can't vote: No yellow page ad and no experience either. I would not mind taking out a small YB ad but I understand that you also have to have a business phoneline. Business lines are very expensive in Maryland so Verison gets into your pocket even before the YB ad appears.
  9. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

All depends on you market area. 90% of home owners here don't live here. Houses are 1 million plus jobs that are rented out so fliers are a BIG waste of money unless you want to give the renter some interesting reading. As far as 400 a month...not a bad deal when you consider our yellow page ad generates appx. 250,000.00 a year in revenue. At double the amount it would still be a bargin! If you are a full service company I don't see how you could be without a yellow page ad.
  10. Lawn Wizard

Lawn Wizard LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies Avery and Homer. I think I am going to go with just the line listing Name , phone # to start out with its only $30 a month here. Maybe if the price is right I will go one bigger and get a display type ad.