Lithium #2 good enough for Peerless?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro-hp_48, Feb 1, 2004.

1. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Supposed to be nice weather tomm. and want to get all the Bentonite out of this Peerless trans. I read that I should use Lithium grease, and just happen to have some "Special Purpose Moly No. 2" here. (was the semi-cheap stuff at TSC)
    Is that good enough, or is there better? (going to put a Zerk in while I'm at it)

2. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Metro,
    Stick with the bentonite grease and don't cut your fingers on those gears.....very sharp!

Pete D.

3. metro-hp_48

from TN

But doesn't the Trans. turn too slowly to keep the bentonite moving? Hear it clumps up in a hard ball. (DO appriciate the tip on the sharp gears, I wouldn't have thought about it. Allergic to bleeding)

4. heritage

heritage LawnSite Bronze Member

Using peerless trans with over 2000 hours on 61'' scag belt drive and when I open it up every spring I do not see any clumping......Just clean and repack....ready for another season. The chain is for reverse and will get streched out after 500 hours....When it does just replace the chain and you are good to go!

Pete D.

5. metro-hp_48

from TN

6. metro-hp_48

from TN

Didin't you replace the Bentonite with llithuim, 65Hoss? (incase you might see this) Though I saw it recommended by eXmark on the eXmark forum, but I can't find it now. Regardless, how much differance is there between Lithium, and Lithium #2?