litlle wonder blows its top!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MATTHEW, Nov 5, 2001.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Been using the little wonder for 2 weeks now. Today it made a big "POP" and died. I found some metal sticking out of a gap where the head gasket goes, and if I pull the recoil, I feel air blowing out. Now, I checked the oil and it was dry in there. It took 3/4 of a quart to fill it up. Do you think It is toast?
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

It doesn't sound good at all. :(
  3. Dochere

Dochere LawnSite Member

...metal sticking out of a gap where the head gasket goes...

Take it back and hope!
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Mathew-is this the first time you checked the oil?It sounds like it popped a head gasket,could be related to the fact that it was overheating from lack of oil?My 8hp is 2 yrs old now,I have used opti-1 in it since new,it doesnt us any oil at all,Ive got about 75 hrs on it now,no trouble with it what so ever.BTW that enigne only holds a little more than 3/4 of a quart of oil.New equipment uses oil until broken in,from my experiences.
  5. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like it's warrenty to the rescue, hopefully.

6. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

the same thing happened to me! I checked the oil every other use, and it blew out the side! oil went everywhere! dealer would not honor warranty on briggs, AND he talked me out of the Honda when I bought it originally. buddy of mine bought it, repalced the 8 I/C with a new10 horse I/C briggs, 20 hours later now it leaks oil ! I had a 5 horse used billy goat blower for a while, no problems but hard starting. wonder if anyone else has experienced the Little Wonder/Briggs problem...
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I guess me and my cousin have been lucky,neither of us has had any trouble with our 8 hp briggs.I wanted the Honda,but 300 dollars difference,and I really do not use it enough to justify the cost.Like i said,I have been running OPTI-4 in it since new,this doubles my manufacturers warranty,so Im still in warranty,from Opti that is.
  8. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

My 8HP LW likes to use a little oil after it's run for a while. Smoke starts billowing out all of a sudden. If I idle it down for a minute and then take it back up again, it's ok.
  9. K9LWT

K9LWT LawnSite Member

I just brought home a LW 10hp briggs today. Needless to say, I will be checking the oil before each use. Mine came with a 5yr warranty-I think it even includes the briggs.
  10. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Very IMPORTANT....

All push blowers w/ briggs & strattonengines need to do the following:

1. When purchasing have dealer inal an oil alert sensor (cost approx $10.00 This will make the warranty go back to the manufacturer because these engines burn a lot of oil!

2. Check oillevel at start of day and if being used for hours on end at lunch break too. The engines e excellent, but keep an eye on the oil level.;)

Schools out for today.