litter in the lawns...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Up North, May 20, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

What do you guys do when there is a ton of litter in a lawn? Normally if it's a small amount I'll pick it up before I mow, or hop off and throw in the debris bag as I mow. But this place is a bar & grill that sits on a corner of a major hwy & another busy road and they get a ton of litter, sand, road salt, etc.. Would you mess with it and charge your time, or tell them to have one of the busboy's or dishboys get out there and pick it up.

Probably take longer to pick up the trash then mow, trim, blow.

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch it hehehe. I have done that several times when I get frusterated lol.

Seriously though I would just talk to the manager and tell him that you can charge extra for it to add it to your services or he can have the bus boys or someone else get it.

If it isn't part of what your charging him for now than don't do it.
  3. flam41

flam41 LawnSite Member

I do a resturant & they have the staff take care of it.
    the'll know its chaper than having you do it.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Good thing about discharging, you can blow stuff out of your way!!
  5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

we do resturants as well and they pick it up morning we show up or get billed for litter services...
  6. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a few like that, but I have a Walker, so just pick up anything heavy or solid, and just cut/suck the rest. With out the collection system, I would charge for the time to pick it up. If it's to much, they will pick up before you show up.

BOSS MAN LawnSite Member

One of our big commercial accounts is a Wal-mart. Each and every week it's the same old problem: trash in the beds, Wal-mart sacks all over the parking lot and so on and so forth. In our contract we told them we would pick up THEIR trash, meaning by their compactors, and the rear bays. Then the manager wanted to know what we were going to do about all of the trash in the parking lot. I told him we could take care of it for about $200 more per week. He hesitated for a second and then said that would be all right. After that it's all been downhill from there. We've done the installation on all of their flower beds, and mulched already for the spring. We also run our own fertilizing units and have already taken care of that. We just keep milking them for money and it's been well worth it. The manager is EXTREMELY happy with my company's service so I'm not worried.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

a lot of times I have noticed that most commerical accounts I have to bag because of the trash
  9. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I have a walker too so I just bag it all.
  10. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I've got 2 Wal-Marts, and are by far my biggest trash collectors.

On my accounts, I bought one of those grabber things at Home Depot, I see them around at other places too, and carry a 5 gallon bucket between my feet on my rider. I just grab the paper, bottles, etc., throw them in the bucket.