Litter pick-up tool ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wall, Apr 28, 2007.

1. wall

wall LawnSite Member

Does anyone use a litter pick-up tool while running their ZTR. I find it kind of a pain to stop, set brake, and shut down deck to clean debris from my path, seems a tool and bag or bucket mounted on mower would save time plus wear and tear on the equipment. Or may-be keeping up with the tool while mowing is a bigger pain. I take the time to clean up an area before I begin mowing but there always something I miss,,,,, stick, beer can paper rock etc.....
  2. Nathan Robinson

Nathan Robinson LawnSite Senior Member
    from 47712

I am going to catch all kinds of hell for this but a border jumper works well at a VERY GOOD price!lol
  3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I had to think about this for a second ... at first I couldn't figure out what a "border jumper" was, and then it hit me ... ROFL !!!
  4. Albery's Lawn & Tractor

Albery's Lawn & Tractor LawnSite Bronze Member

5 gallon bucket (you can hold the bucket between your legs) and a extended grabber is what I use. You can find the grabber at J-thomas or lowes.
  5. Branchland

Branchland LawnSite Senior Member

I use a empty box. The one I bought a case of 2 cycle oil in. Good size. And I bought the extended grabbers from a tool tent sale. Only about 2 bucks apiece.
  6. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

I keep small sack tied to my seat and have a pickup tool that fits right next to me, saves a lot getting up and down. I even use it for sticks so im not quite as thourough when i do my picking up before mowing.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The worst thing is garbage, my guess is people flinging things out their car window, especially glass and paper products... The tin cans are annoying but it's not that big a deal if I run over one, glass and paper thou...

Some rocks do need to be picked out, I find doing this is a bonus for me, once the rock is gone it doesn't usually re-appear. Sticks and branches, unless it's a big solid one I run right over them, crack chop :laugh:... Took a little practice to learn which ones I can run over and which ones not to, but as a rough guide: Less than 1" diameter or rotten ones shouldn't be a big deal, make sure the chute is facing away from houses / cars.

Stumps are another matter, ever hit one at high speed and you know what I mean... I usually grab my chainsaw and cut them down as close to the dirt as I can get (a trick keeping the chain out of the dirt too). Every once in a moon I've found my Wb's deck can hit and remove a small stump with the skirt if done carefully, and I've also used my blades to grind the odd one down before, again very carefully.

But I'm thinking, too, about getting a tool, it is annoying to shut down / step off / etc.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I use the 5 gallon bucket on front with grabber on scag Cougar but it don't work well on a Scag ZTR with those controls arms...they are in the way to use the grabber. I have a 2ft pole with nail in it and it is mounted in a radiator hose behind the seat and I can reach back and get it easy. But Cougar and Waller easire to use grabber.
  9. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

You said it!:clapping:
  10. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

A BORDER JUMPER ...............HAHAHHAHAH Ok I'm a little slow but I get it...