Litter Pickup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dixiedemon, Aug 24, 2005.

1. dixiedemon

dixiedemon LawnSite Member
    from ky

I mow our local park it is where all the young kids and even some adults hang out at night, what ever is in their hand goes right on the ground beer bottle soda bottle napkins anything goes they usually just toss them over in the park and they bust glass is everywhere i always pick it up and never say anything but today was awfull ! we picked up 4, 35 gallon bags of trash should i tack on about 30$ a bag or just take it with part of the job adn what would i do if while trimming got a piece of glass in me or one of my employees i shouldnt have to pay for my towns lack of pride :realmad: :realmad:

2. OMG

OMG LawnSite Senior Member

Mow around it for a week, show them the results and offer to continue picking up for _____ amount of money.

3. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

this should be reflected in your original bid

4. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

I agree this should have been covered in the original bid.but we all know hindsight is 20/20 right?

5. dixiedemon

dixiedemon LawnSite Member
    from ky

early in the mowing season there is little league baseball there and they keep a close eye on the park plus the coaches and kids pickup the trash after their games now it looks like the city dump

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

one of the reasons why we quit doing city parks

7. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

We do the major mall in our area.... We found the worst thing ever for garbage pickup is kleenex's...

For some stupid reason kids, or moron adults take full boxes of kleenex's and just throw them everywhere... Such a PITA.

8. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

as long as it wont screw up your mower i would just go right over it and pretend its not even there....

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

yeah lol, i cut many tiny city lawns, the 34" 15hp mower eats stuff up and throws it 5 yards over, lol i could care less, they want to live in a dump thats their problem, beer bottles etc, i run that **** right over, you barely hear the glass crack the blades hit stuff so fast, just shaters into bits. leave it up to them to have the dumpy yards. Ive hit bongs, wine bottles, 40oz budweisers, mary jane wrappers, small batteries lol

10. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

It is the client's job to pay you if you clean up their property, you don't wear it, they do....try to negotiate with them.

if successful, great.

if not, simply use the discharge air from your deck to move things movable, so technically you missed no grass but the trash is still there.

I do parks too, my worse factor is builders rubbish blowing onto the parks from close by developments, but I'm not paid to pick it up, so I blow it aside and keep going.

you can only do what your paid to do, your not a charity....

and be careful if you do pick up trash, gloves, plus get your hep b shots, no maybe, do it!