Little Brown Spots - Webworm? Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pulpit46227, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Pulpit46227

Pulpit46227 LawnSite Member

I have a customer that had some little brown spots pop up last week. Little, maybe inch or two wide. I told her I didn't really know what they were. Yesterday morning, I was mowing her eary and notice on the spots that there was like white slimy fuzz on the grass blades. Is this web worm? What is the best way to treat this?

Thanks

2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Were you seeing dollar spot? Compare HERE . Look for bleached spots with brown borders like figure 6 there. I'ts not fatal and usually doesn't require treatment in ornamental turf.

3. angus

angus LawnSite Member

Sounds like dollar spot get a fungicide on it quick

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Dollar Spot

Stop watering in the late evening. Fungicide is fine, if you haven't applied fert in a while, do so. 50% slow release of a 20 - 25% N

5. Pulpit46227

Pulpit46227 LawnSite Member

Yes it looked just like figure 6. So, she needs to fertilize with more nitrogen?

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Additional N depends on the fert history of the site. Dollar spot is treated on golf courses, actually prevented, by repeated fungicide apps, because the dead leaves interfere with ball roll. On ornamental turf, the usual cure is to add N (IF DEFICIENT!!) to help new leaves grow out. DS kills only the infected leaves, not the grass plant.

Follow other directions about no late day or evening watering, and if no fert in last 5 weeks, an app now will help it to recover. Not a lot, ½#N/K, or up to 0.75#N(if using some slow release), will be sufficient.

Dollar spot is always there. Nothing to panic about. I used to treat some very susceptable lawn areas, but the chem combo that gave me 28 day control is not now labelled for residential turf.