"little extra"s gone bad

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Russo, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Russo

Russo LawnSite Senior Member

Have an older customer that ALWAYS want the trash moved to the curb for him, or chair moved around the house, or something that he can't do himself just because I happened to be there. He is a great guy and I never really minded even though I'm losing money while I'm doing this stuff.

Well, he asked me to loosen the nut on the carburator of his old Murray tractor last week, and I busted the bolt clean off! Whoops!

He wasn't mad but you could tell that he wasn't happy none either. I sort of feel bad, but I also feel like it was a little bit of karma coming back for wanting all the freebie stuff every week.

Anyone ever try to do a customer a favor and have it come back in your face?

2. yergus

yergus LawnSite Member

i do extras occassionally, never had anything fall back on me except when you do the first thing at no charge, they expect everything they ask extra at no charge as well. it comes a time when i had to start telling them to let me finish what i was doing then i would knock on their door and tell them what it would cost extra, that helped stop that.

3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

No good deed goes unpunished!! JD

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

dont mind an occasional 5 minut freebie.
    happens again and i charge.

5. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

We had a little old lady that we did extra stuff for just to be nice. She started to ask us to do bigger jobs every week and when I mentioned charging for something that was going to put me out $50 plus my time she got rid of us because we were going to charge her. She hired some guy that needs the headache more than me. We were down about loosing her account but you will always find another yard or two to replace these kind. My advise is if it continues, let the account go and try to replace it.

6. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

Just tell them..... "let me write you an estimate for what that will cost." and It will most likely stop or they get rid of you.....

7. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I helped an elderly neighbor across the street plow his small garden patch with his tiller until the rope broke on the starter. He knew it wasn't my fault.

8. Ajays

Ajays LawnSite Member

A few years back when I had only 3 clients a lady called me from a small town 30 miles away. I only went out there cause I needed the work really bad. She wanted an estimate for lawn care. Well I had no clue what I was doing but her lawn was really small and completely covered with leaves. I told her I would mow it for 25$. Then she asked me to bag it. I had my bagger with me but had never used it before. I put it on but it made my mower a lot bulkier. I was mowing by the drive and scraped the side of her truck. I was out $800 and that totally sucked.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

on the bottom of our contracts, in big letters it says, "extras are not free" please understand, our work is seasonal, and our time very important. if u need anything at all other than your regular service, please call in advance to schedule, and request a price quote. this has stopped everyone from asking for free extras. now, anytime im asked, the sentance starts something like this, " hi, i was just wondering, how much extra would it be for u to......."