Little Giant Ladders- Anyone use them?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by tcls83, Jan 31, 2006.

1. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

I was thinking about maybe sometime down the road getting a Little Giant Ladder for shrubs , cutting limbs and etc. I've used one before helping my mother paint her house, and it was great! It seems real durable, and you can climb up both sides of it. It seems really versatile. And this is coming from someone who is not a sucker for products shown on TV infomercials. But they seem expensive though, and I am a very cheap person.

Does anyone use them, and does it seem like you're getting your money's worth out of them on landscaping type work?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I have not used it in landscape work but I have one in Handyman service. It is great. Very stable, strong, solid, well built, Well worth the money as it is very versatile. But I can not answer the landscape question, sorry, though I believe it would be good. The fact that it can lean close (drop one side)to a tree is a good thing.

And of course, How could you doubt AL???:p
  3. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

And of course, How could you doubt AL???:p[/QUOTE]

Hahahh!!! That cracked me up!!!

4. Bulldog26

Bulldog26 LawnSite Member

I have used on many times. They are a great piece of equipment. Like PMLAWN I used it in constuction applications. Cant beat them working on stairs. I used it until the joints wore out, 5 years and then all you have to do is buy replacemnents. One draw back, if you use it to go straight up.... it has a pretty good sag in the middle..... you have to get use to that. I would buy it!
  5. Justcutitshort

Justcutitshort LawnSite Member

Our company has the 21 footer for changing bulbs in the shop and certain tree work. It is terrific but there is another company making a ladder like it at about half the cost.
    Do some searching
  6. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i bought the gorilla ladder at home depot it goes from a 5' stepladder to an8'step ladder it an also make 2 a-frames to put a plank works well for it's half the cost of a little giant.

7. NY Landscape Lighting

NY Landscape Lighting LawnSite Member

Costco, We got ours there. Pretty much the same as the Little Giant. Much Cheaper.
  8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I thought Little Giant ladders were only available from the infomercials. But, I saw one yesterday at a hardware store, $369.99. Wow!

I too had thought of getting something like this ladder for shrub trimming. But, I found a couple of fiberglass ladders (throw-aways that only needed the top plate replaced) that didn't cost much. Now, I have an 8ft, 3 6ft and a 4ft ladders, to use with a couple of 2X8 planks, 8 ft long. Over time, I've learned to be creative in how to use the ladders/planks. They give me much flexibility on configurations. A versitile ladder like Little Giant might be for productive in some situations, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on something used so infrequently.
  9. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

According to my uncle bill its not a great peace of equip, know how it converts into scaffholding, the sides fold out, he was putting xmas lights up, and he stood up on it and it collapsed completly. peice of junk
  10. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I'll check out the prices the Home Depot or Costco ladders. I did not know they sold them. Again, Thanks. I have a lot of hilly areas where I'm doing trimming with a tall regular style ladder. It's hard to position it in a spot to prevent it from jiggling around. And whenever you lock the center part in place, the metal bends.